Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> on 2009/02/21 00:48:15 UTC

RCs Re: Release(s)

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> wrote:
>

>> In my scenario there's an RC, a separate entity from the final release.
>> And it may have passed through the release process and voted on. Or not. I
>> didn't specify because it doesn't seem to matter.
>>
>> So "not kosher" seems to me like inventing one very specific process and
>> using it as strawman to argue that RC is problematic by nature.
>>

> Of course, I'm not disputing that. The problem is with a very specific way
> to handle RCs (vote on it and then just release from the same tag/branch
> without re-voting) not with RCs in general.

So I don't understand what you mean when you say "RCs aren't fully kosher".
If there's nothing inherently non-kosher about RCs, and we're not
specifically discussing a particular non-kosher process, why not consider
doing RCs?

Assaf

Re: RCs Re: Release(s)

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> So I don't understand what you mean when you say "RCs aren't fully
>>> kosher". If there's nothing inherently non-kosher about RCs, and we're not
>>> specifically discussing a particular non-kosher process, why not consider
>>> doing RCs?
>>>

>> I was referring back to the thread I linked to earlier ([1]) and the
>> related discussions that happened in legal discuss (also linked in that
>> thread). So when I was talking about RCs it was in that context (again,
>> voted RCs released as final from the same tag/branch without re-voting).
>>
>> I don't have anything against RCs as an industry practice. We (as an
>> Apache project) just need to handle them carefully because of the release
>> process. With that process in mind, the possibilities I see are:
>>
>>    - Vote on RCs and final releases. Longer, heavier process (2x72h).
>>    - Only vote for final releases. The RCs are therefore unofficial and
>>    not meant for wide consumption.
>>    - We could also choose to not have releases tagged as RCs and skip
>>    numbers as a result. If a release is good, we vote on it, otherwise we cut
>>    the next.
>>
>> What I like about the last option for ODE is that it's simple. But we can
>> probably make the second one work too if jumping numbers is A Big Deal.
>>

> It's simple until something goes wrong and then people start complaining
> about the quality of the releases. The thing is, people don't appreciate
> "release often" as much as they do "release well tested code".  If you keep
> jumping versions when things break, people start treating you as a source of
> broken releases. So RC becomes this period of giving the code one last
> chance to prove it's well tested.
>
> How involved the RC process should be depends on the likelihood and
> consequences of things going group, coupled with the time it takes to find
> them:
>
> - Little consequence, easy to find. The code you're voting to release is
> the only candidate you need, and 72 hours enough to judge its quality.
> - Serious consequence, easy to find. 72 hours not enough, you need an RC
> that is distinct from the final release, and available for longer period.
> - Serious consequences, hard to find. Get more people involved by releasing
> an RC (vote and all) and giving people time to test it out (could take
> weeks).
>
> The last process is the heaviest, but it also guarantees more people
> looking at the code before cutting the final release. How likely I am to
> look at an RC is correlated to how long the RC window is, and how easy it is
> to obtain the RC, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the general rule for
> other people.
>
> Judging these processes in isolation is meaningless, the question is, which
> one is right for Ode?

We have 2 branches with different levels of maturity. For 1.X, which is
stable (sort of), I was gearing toward the first option, which is why I went
directly for a 1.3. For the trunk, we're clearly on the second option
(releasing betas at this point).

Matthieu

Re: RCs Re: Release(s)

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.