Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by davout <da...@dsl.pipex.com> on 2002/06/21 11:22:56 UTC

Help - Soap22 to Axis conversion

I'm in the process of converting a soap22 web service to use Axis, and I'm
hoping somebody can help me with some explanations of the following...

a). TargetEndPointAddress

With Soap22 I have the following address parts I use to set up calls to a
web service...

URL 						http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter
URN (call.setTargetObjectURI)		urn:MyWebService
method name	(call.setmethodName)	getData

The equivalent data fields in Axis appear to be...

call.setTargetEndpointAddress
call.setOperationName

It's not clear to what the values are that I should set into these
methods... Is it...

call.setTargetEndpointAddress
http://localhost:8080/axis/servlet/AxisServlet
call.setOperationName			urn:MyWebService,getData

or

call.setTargetEndpointAddress
http://localhost:8080/axis/servlet/AxisServlet/myWebService
call.setOperationName			urn:MyWebService,getData

If its the second option, does this mean that I have to have a
'myWebServuce' folder created somewhere? If so where? Can I set the location
of the axis folder in Tomcat?

b). location of java web service source file

Where can my web service java source file be located? Do In have to have it
located under the Tomcat 'webapps/axis' folder tree, or can I somehow
redirect the calls to another location??

Whilst I'm developing the code I wanted to try and redirect any calls to a
JBuilder related path.  To this end much like Soap22 I was pre-registering
my web service using a WSDD file with 'adminClient'.

With Soap22 I used the descriptor files and pre-registered using the
adminclient  . This allowed me to develope the code in place in a JBuilder
related path and not have to copy files into a Soap22 saub folder. can I do
the same in Axis?

RE: Help - Soap22 to Axis conversion

Posted by davout <da...@dsl.pipex.com>.

I'm confused by the question.  Classes are typically put in
tomcat4/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/classes.
<<

Is it possible to have the classes positioned elsewhere?

In Soap22 I could run...

	http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter deploy deploy.xml

The Soap22 deploy.xml file includes a line that points to the java class,
and that java class can be anywhere.Hence I could have my java classes
positioned under 'd:\wip\myproject'.

The equivalent deployment process in Axis is...

	java org.apache.axis.client.AdminClient deploy.wsdd

This 'deploy.wsdd' file include a pointer to the related java class. Can
this java class be located anywhere??

What I'm trying to avoid is the need to copy java files from the development
area to a folder under 'webapps\' each time the code changes.

Understand?

Re: Help - Soap22 to Axis conversion

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com>.
davout wrote:

>I'm in the process of converting a soap22 web service to use Axis, and I'm
>hoping somebody can help me with some explanations of the following...
>
>a). TargetEndPointAddress
>
>With Soap22 I have the following address parts I use to set up calls to a
>web service...
>
>URL 						http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter
>URN (call.setTargetObjectURI)		urn:MyWebService
>method name	(call.setmethodName)	getData
>
>The equivalent data fields in Axis appear to be...
>
>call.setTargetEndpointAddress
>call.setOperationName
>
>It's not clear to what the values are that I should set into these
>methods... Is it...
>
>call.setTargetEndpointAddress
>http://localhost:8080/axis/servlet/AxisServlet
>call.setOperationName			urn:MyWebService,getData

This works

>or
>
>call.setTargetEndpointAddress
>http://localhost:8080/axis/servlet/AxisServlet/myWebService
>call.setOperationName			urn:MyWebService,getData
>
>If its the second option, does this mean that I have to have a
>'myWebServuce' folder created somewhere? If so where? Can I set the location
>of the axis folder in Tomcat?

Close.  If your deploy with <servicename="myWebService">, then you can
access via the URL  http://localhost:8080/axis/service/myWebService.

>b). location of java web service source file
>
>Where can my web service java source file be located? Do In have to have it
>located under the Tomcat 'webapps/axis' folder tree, or can I somehow
>redirect the calls to another location??

I'm confused by the question.  Classes are typically put in
tomcat4/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/classes.

>Whilst I'm developing the code I wanted to try and redirect any calls to a
>JBuilder related path.  To this end much like Soap22 I was pre-registering
>my web service using a WSDD file with 'adminClient'.
>
>With Soap22 I used the descriptor files and pre-registered using the
>adminclient  . This allowed me to develope the code in place in a JBuilder
>related path and not have to copy files into a Soap22 saub folder. can I do
>the same in Axis?

With tomcat, you can control the redirection using the docBase attribute
of the context element.  For more details, see
C:\jakarta\xml-soap\java\soap-2_2\samples\provider .

- Sam Ruby