Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/06/29 11:57:45 UTC

Re: ASF Standard for site.xml aka sitetree.xml (was Re: Eclipse based site.xml editor)

Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 08:43 +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Ross Gardler wrote:

>>>structure document then we simply create a internal plugin (like the
>>>IMSManifest plugin) for it.

>>I would be even more supportive if Lenya and Cocoon adopt the Maven one,
>>so that we would have a single format for all these projects.

If you want any site navigation format other than site.xml then simply
write an Internal plugin for it. To see how see the IMSManifest plugin.
There is no need for discussion since the plugin will be entirely optional.

Speaking personally I have no use cases that are not well supported by
one of the two existing options. IMS Manifest is extremely powerful and
is a standard, site.xml is extremely simple and flexible, as well as
offering things like site: and ext:

If someone implements a new site structure plugin then we can talk about
making it "the standard", but until then discussion is pointless, we've
done it many times before. The conclusion was always "yeah there are
some good reasons to change and some good reasons not to change", nobody
has yet had a strong enough itch to build the alternative plugins. I
encourage someone to do that, lets increase the options.

For Anils work he needs to get started so I think it is best he builds
the site.xml editor. We can always change the XML structure it outputs
at a later date if necessary.

Ross