Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2022/10/06 01:32:57 UTC

Killing long-running tasks

A client yesterday had a folder with 20,000 emails and decided to delete
and/or move most of them to other folders (using Thunderbird client).
The server slowed to a crawl. Since that time, opening any folder on any
account takes forever with Thunderbird timing out most of the time.
I've tried rebooting james several times.  No luck.  Does James cache
long-running tasks and continue on the tasks after a reboot?  If so, how
do I kill the task(s) permanently?  If tasks do not carry over across
reboots, where is the best place to look in the logs to see what has is
causing the server to go to its knees?  It's been 36 hours and it's
still barely responding.

Thx

Re: Killing long-running tasks

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
Sorry.  Totally forgot to include it.  Currently it's Spring.

Jerry

Posted by Benoit TELLIER <bt...@linagora.com>.
Hello Jerry,

Which backend are you using? JPA ?

On 06/10/2022 08:32, Jerry Malcolm wrote:
> A client yesterday had a folder with 20,000 emails and decided to
> delete and/or move most of them to other folders (using Thunderbird
> client).  The server slowed to a crawl. Since that time, opening any
> folder on any account takes forever with Thunderbird timing out most
> of the time.  I've tried rebooting james several times.  No luck.
> Does James cache long-running tasks and continue on the tasks after a
> reboot?
No.