Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com> on 2007/09/27 18:45:11 UTC

[general][M3] release notes

Hi all,
as we're nearing the closure time for M3 snapshot, I thought it would be
great if we started writing Release Notes for them. We managed to do that
for our previous milestone M2 [1], but failed to do it on time to ship with
the bundle. Let's do better this time. For convenience, I've created a Wiki
page [2] to gather all things that are unlikely to be fixed before M3 or are
otherwise notable and should be in the Release Notes.

I hope this way works for you. You're welcome to enter whatever notes you
have, and I will assembly them into an HTML page and into site-specific XML
in time for the final snapshot. Surely, an engineering review and sign-off
from committers would be necessary before packaging the final version.

Thank you.

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/documentation/milestones/m2-relnotes.html
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Milestone_M3_known_issues

--
Cheers,
Nadya

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/28, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> > Yep, just the link to JIRA query would be the best.
> > Though I'm also not sure Web UI allows this, unless a project uses
> > "Due date" feature which Harmony does not.
>
> Well we can approximate it by querying the issues that were
> resolved/closed between the date of M2 and the date of M3.
>
> The problem being that it will include issues that are not part of the
> release per se (such as website updates):
We can select the components we are interested in. And remove
"Website/Documentation" component for example...

SY, Alexey

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2007/9/28, Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>:
> Similar to Tim's, but this one only shows issues that have been resolved
> "fixed", as opposed to "wontfix" or "invalid" etc, and doesn't include
> website issues or non-bug-differences:
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310050&updated%3Abefore=5%2FOct%2F07&updated%3Aafter=30%2FJun%2F07&status=5&status=6&component=12311280&component=12311279&component=12310560&component=12310327&component=12311272&component=12311442&component=12310091&component=12310353&resolution=1&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC
>
> I think this is a good approximation at the point in time that M3 is
> released, but if a bug is fixed after M3 but was updated in that timeframe
> then it would show up in this search wouldn't it?

Exactly, this was my assumption. There is no (visible) connection
between issue attributes and dates in query, so it select intersection
of (current status=fixed) and (updated in that interval).

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> 2007/9/28, Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>:
>> Similar to Tim's, but this one only shows issues that have been resolved
>> "fixed", as opposed to "wontfix" or "invalid" etc, and doesn't include
>> website issues or non-bug-differences:
>>
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310050&updated%3Abefore=5%2FOct%2F07&updated%3Aafter=30%2FJun%2F07&status=5&status=6&component=12311280&component=12311279&component=12310560&component=12310327&component=12311272&component=12311442&component=12310091&component=12310353&resolution=1&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC
> More then 400 issues were fixed for 3 months... not bad... :)
>
> SY, Alexey
>
> P.S. I think we can add this info to readme.

I'd be inclined to drop out the build-test-ci issues too, since we don't
exactly deliver that to our users.  But it is all an approximation so
probably not worth fussing about.

I agree that it shows a very impressive productivity rate!

Regards,
Tim

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
Generally, i think it is a good idea to include fixed bugs (as well as
unfixed critical bugs) into release notes. however, i don't think we need to
publish them all. those interested can always query JIRA manually, while
those not particularly interested will get a longish table of info they
don't need.
we could perhaps select the most outstanding bugs and the bugs that were in
known issues in M2 and are fixed in M3. what do you say?

On 9/28/07, Sian January <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if JIRA supports this kind of query, but if it does, would it
> be good to include a link in the release notes to a list of all the JIRAs
> that have been fixed for M3?
>

> On 27/09/2007, Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > as we're nearing the closure time for M3 snapshot, I thought it would be
> > great if we started writing Release Notes for them. We managed to do
> that
> > for our previous milestone M2 [1], but failed to do it on time to ship
> > with
> > the bundle. Let's do better this time. For convenience, I've created a
> > Wiki
> > page [2] to gather all things that are unlikely to be fixed before M3 or
> > are
> > otherwise notable and should be in the Release Notes.
> >
> > I hope this way works for you. You're welcome to enter whatever notes
> you
> > have, and I will assembly them into an HTML page and into site-specific
> > XML
> > in time for the final snapshot. Surely, an engineering review and
> sign-off
> > from committers would be necessary before packaging the final version.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > [1] http://harmony.apache.org/documentation/milestones/m2-relnotes.html
> > [2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Milestone_M3_known_issues
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Nadya
> >

> --
> Unless stated otherwise above:
> 741598.

Cheers,
Nadya

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Nadya Morozova wrote:
> Hi all,
> as we're nearing the closure time for M3 snapshot, I thought it would be
> great if we started writing Release Notes for them. We managed to do that
> for our previous milestone M2 [1], but failed to do it on time to ship with
> the bundle. Let's do better this time. For convenience, I've created a Wiki
> page [2] to gather all things that are unlikely to be fixed before M3 or are
> otherwise notable and should be in the Release Notes.
>
> I hope this way works for you. You're welcome to enter whatever notes you
> have, and I will assembly them into an HTML page and into site-specific XML
> in time for the final snapshot. Surely, an engineering review and sign-off
> from committers would be necessary before packaging the final version.

The recent Board report [1] is also a source for a few headline features
of the new milestone.  The dates align quite well I think.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Board200709

Regards,
Tim

Re: [general][M3] release notes

Posted by Yang Paulex <pa...@gmail.com>.
Nadya, thanks a lot for this initiative.

I added some known issues in classlib, which I considered relative
significant, please correct me if I miss something (probably). Thanks.

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab