Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2007/01/10 09:25:49 UTC

Maven profile to generate correct Eclipse projects?

I'm trying to do some simple refactoring of the spec APIs to fix JIRA
909, and running into the following issues:

I am using Eclipse and running mvn -Peclipse eclipse:eclipse in the spec
and sca folders to generate Eclipse projects. If I remember correctly
this used to generate correct Eclipse project dependencies, for example
the core project had a dependency on the sca-api project. Now project
core depends on the sca-api-r0.95 jar instead. Code changes that I make
in the sca-api project are not seen by core. Refactoring methods in
sca-api does not adjust any of the code in core. The jars do not have
associated source code so this makes debugging tough (and there's way
too many projects for me to associate the source code to each jar manually).

I have probably forgotten to do something or not run mvn -Peclipse
correctly. Could somebody point me to the magic Maven commands that will
generate a usable Eclipse workspace?

Thanks

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Maven profile to generate correct Eclipse projects?

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.
I think there is one point that may be a downside as this would be building your
own SNAPSHOTS of all projects locally of everything instead of using only
published snapshots, so it *may* negate the decoupling?  Not 100% sure.

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Ole Ersoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just skimmed this so sorry if someone may have
> answered your original question.
>
> If you run
>
> mvn eclipse:clean eclipse:eclipse,
>
> it will restore the Maven project to it's original
> pre-eclipse project state, and then recreate the
> eclipse project files.  This guarantees that the files
> are up to date.
>
> If you do the same on  a parent project, it cleans and
> updates all the child projects.
>
> Then if you run
>
> mvn clean install on the parent it will update the
> entire build.  You now have to F5 each project to make
> sure it sees the latest recompiled and deployed
> dependencies in the maven repository.  With Eclipse
> 3.2 some test files occasionally pretend that they
> don't see the dependencies after running the eclipse
> plugin.
>
> Then when I run the test in eclipse, the dependencies
> are resolved.
>
> Cheers,
> - Ole
>

> --- Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> I think the cause of the problem is both Sebastien
>> and I are going into
>> specific component / sub components of Tuscany and
>> running mvn -Peclipse
>> from there.... from the sounds of it if you run it
>> at the top level then you
>> should get all the subs build such that any
>> dependecies are resolved to
>> other compoenents in the same source hierarchy (as
>> opposed to the
>> repository).
>> Seems like this could be a good point to document in
>> the wiki, 'cos the last
>> time I read the docs it advised you to go into each
>> part seperatly and run
>> mvn -Peclipse
>> Regards,
>> Dan
>>
>> On 10/01/07, Rick <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sebastien,
>>> I don't quite get the issue you are seeing.  I'll
>>>
>> just add what I've been
>>
>>> doing:
>>> In top folder (java) run mvn -Pall,eclipse
>>>
>> eclipse:eclipse
>>
>>> I'm still a hold out I guess in that I like
>>>
>> building the whole tuscany
>>
>>> package.
>>> For debugging, I add source of projects I know I
>>>
>> need.  So far this has
>>
>>> been
>>> working for me.  Cheers.

>> spec APIs to fix JIRA

>> eclipse:eclipse in the spec

>> I remember correctly

>> dependencies, for example

>> project. Now project

>> Code changes that I make

>> Refactoring methods in

>> The jars do not have

>> tough (and there's way

>> code to each jar

>> run mvn -Peclipse

>> Maven commands that will

Ole,

Thanks, in addition, in my case I also need to build with mvn -Pall to
include all the projects and generate their .classpath in a single build
pass. That's what I was missing.

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
In the case that the artifact id has been changed, you need to delete the
project (keep the content) from the workspace and re-import it.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Jan 10, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> I was following discussions on earlier email threads, which IIRC
> did not say -Pall (or I missed that in the email archive). Could
> the steps to gen a usable workspace be documented on our web site?

Thanks for volunteering :-)
--
Jeremy

Re: Maven profile to generate correct Eclipse projects?

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rick <cr...@gmail.com>.
Sebastien,

Posted by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,
Interesting... maybe there is a difference in the maven (plugin) levels we
are using (or the way we run mvn)...

looking at the .classpath file that gets generated by mvn -Peclipse
eclipse:eclipse I see entries such as (in the case of DAS):
  <classpathentry kind="var"
path="M2_REPO/org/apache/tuscany/sdo/tuscany-sdo-impl/1.0-incubator-SNAPSHOT/tuscany-
sdo-impl-1.0-incubator-SNAPSHOT.jar"/>
So for me the dependency is pointing to the installed jar in my repository,
not to other projects in my workspace. I can change sdo-impl and install it,
then my changes are picked up... but this means I step out of eclipse (since
I've not really had much joy with the m2eclipse plugin)...

Perhaps it is because you are running mvn -Peclipse profile   <- presume
profile is one of SCA/SDO etc... I'll give this a bash - thanks
Dan

Posted by Francesco Furfari <fr...@isti.cnr.it>.
Hi,

Posted by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com>.