Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/06/04 21:52:15 UTC

Re: Official code signing certificate

On 24/05/2013 17:59, Scott Deboy wrote:
> Logging Services has a simple requirement:
>
> Have the Chainsaw build artifacts signed by a Java code signing cert
> that is signed by a trusted/root CA so the jars can be downloaded via
> WebStart without the user receiving a warning that the signed jars
> aren't trusted.
>
> The Chainsaw maven script supports signing jars - infra just needs to
> point it to the cert.
>
> I don't know whether or not an ASF-wide Java code signing cert makes
> sense or a Logging Services-specific Java code signing cert makes
> sense.  I don't even know if it is possible to have TLP-specific Java
> code signing certs.  I defer to infra on that decision.
>
> I believe the code signing service WRowe described will meet our
> requirements.  Hopefully infra can spend some time looking at the
> service and see how it can meet their requirements.
>
> Logging Services would like to be a guinea pig for the Java code
> signing service WRowe described above.  If there are additional
> details needed by infra, we are happy to provide them.

OK. That requirement is understood.

Code signing is on my TODO list after I have completed the current round
of FreeBSD upgrades and after I have a cert arranged for
*.openoffice.org. That means it is at least a month before I'll have the
time this needs to progress it.

My (very) rough plan is to see if Verisign are still willing to offer us
the free signing service and then work through how that might work.

The keys things for infra are:
- minimising the risk that malicious code is signed
- having a plan if to handle things if the worst does happen
- ensure that the inputs to the signing process have been approved by
the PMC signing
- figure out what role infra needs to play in the signing process

I intend to use Tomcat to test this with as it has JARs and .exe's that
can be signed and I have the necessary commit privs to modify the build
process if required.

If you want to help progress this then reaching out to Bill and
re-connecting with Verisign would be a useful thing to do. In an ideal
world if you can line things up so I can get what I need (service docs,
how to register for the service, how to use the service, etc.) to start
testing / investigating this that would be great.

Mark

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 4 June 2013 22:34, Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 4. Juni 2013 um 21:52 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> > On 24/05/2013 17:59, Scott Deboy wrote:
> > > Logging Services has a simple requirement:
> > >
> > > Have the Chainsaw build artifacts signed by a Java code signing cert
> > > that is signed by a trusted/root CA so the jars can be downloaded via
> > > WebStart without the user receiving a warning that the signed jars
> > > aren't trusted.
> > >
> > > The Chainsaw maven script supports signing jars - infra just needs to
> > > point it to the cert.
> > >
> > > I don't know whether or not an ASF-wide Java code signing cert makes
> > > sense or a Logging Services-specific Java code signing cert makes
> > > sense. I don't even know if it is possible to have TLP-specific Java
> > > code signing certs. I defer to infra on that decision.
> > >
> > > I believe the code signing service WRowe described will meet our
> > > requirements. Hopefully infra can spend some time looking at the
> > > service and see how it can meet their requirements.
> > >
> > > Logging Services would like to be a guinea pig for the Java code
> > > signing service WRowe described above. If there are additional
> > > details needed by infra, we are happy to provide them.
> > >

> > OK. That requirement is understood.
> >
> > Code signing is on my TODO list after I have completed the current round
> > of FreeBSD upgrades and after I have a cert arranged for
> > *.openoffice.org. That means it is at least a month before I'll have the
> > time this needs to progress it.
> >
> > My (very) rough plan is to see if Verisign are still willing to offer us
> > the free signing service and then work through how that might work.
> >
> > The keys things for infra are:
> > - minimising the risk that malicious code is signed
> > - having a plan if to handle things if the worst does happen
> > - ensure that the inputs to the signing process have been approved by
> > the PMC signing
> > - figure out what role infra needs to play in the signing process
> >
> > I intend to use Tomcat to test this with as it has JARs and .exe's that
> > can be signed and I have the necessary commit privs to modify the build
> > process if required.
> >
> > If you want to help progress this then reaching out to Bill and
> > re-connecting with Verisign would be a useful thing to do. In an ideal
> > world if you can line things up so I can get what I need (service docs,
> > how to register for the service, how to use the service, etc.) to start
> > testing / investigating this that would be great.
> >
> Hi Mark,
>
> I am still available to provide more info regarding the requirements of
> OpenOffice. As mentioned earlier in a discussion related to code signing,
> we have a multistep signing process in place during the build process and
> when we gave the cert under full control. This has to adapted in a way that
> is appropriate to the new process. I believe the OpenOffice requirements
> are the mist complex ones and O hope we can find a working and what's more
> important secure and save workflow that satisfy all requirements.

Knowing both AOO and infra I am sure we can find common ground here.

@mark, I am happy to be you "working force" if you need an extra pair of
hands.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I am still available to provide more info regarding the requirements of OpenOffice...

There's some at http://wiki.apache.org/general/ASFCodeSigning already
(which you added IIUC), would be good to keep that up to date IMO as
other projects might have similar needs.

-Bertrand

Re: Official code signing certificate

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.