Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by SM <sm...@resistor.net> on 2009/04/10 07:57:01 UTC

emailreg.org (was: zen.spamhaus.org)

Hi Rob,

http://www.barracudacentral.org/about/emailreg
http://www.emailreg.org/index.cgi?p=about

>But, as the post you mentioned said, emailreg.org resolves to
>64.235.146.64 and arin.net shows that 64.235.146.64 is clearly in
>Barracuda's assigned address space. I'll tell you right now... this is
>BIG and EASY money. Very BIG and very EASY money. I suspect they are
>pulling in hundreds... maybe even thousands... of those $20 payments per
>day.

The usage policy at http://www.emailreg.org/index.cgi?p=policy
mentions that there is a $20 registration fee to "discourage domain
tasters from sending spam and to further verify the contact information".

>(if I seem upset about this... read between the lines... and you might
>understand why)

Are you upset because people are paying money to a site with a domain
owner hidden by the Whois privacy registration? :-)  Some antispam
offers are big and easy money as there's always somebody ready to pay
or to jump on the bandwagon because it is free.

Regards,
-sm

Re: emailreg.org (was: zen.spamhaus.org)

Posted by Rik <hl...@buzzhost.co.uk>.
On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 18:50 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * SM <sm...@resistor.net>:
> > At 01:19 10-04-2009, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> >> They could simply offer free registration for "old" domains...
> >
> > They could.  I doubt that someone running such a service would do that if
> > people are willing to pay.
>
> Indeed!

One major point is being missed here. If you *don't* send out UCE,
you'll never need these services or be worried by things like $pamhaus.

You could host with Rackspace or Fasthosts and become immune from the
$pamhaus 'order of the loyal spammer' Keeeerrrrrchinnnnng. Those Court
Cases don't come for free...

Re: emailreg.org (was: zen.spamhaus.org)

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.
* SM <sm...@resistor.net>:
> At 01:19 10-04-2009, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>> They could simply offer free registration for "old" domains...
>
> They could.  I doubt that someone running such a service would do that if
> people are willing to pay.

Indeed!

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
  Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

Re: emailreg.org (was: zen.spamhaus.org)

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, SM wrote:

> I don't see any difference in the usage of ".org" instead of ".com" as
> there are commercial organizations that use it.

That's a registrars-don't-follow-the-rules problem, not an
extortionate-Barracuda problem.

>> AND EXCEPT TO ASK: Is that $20 fee a one-time fee? Or a yearly fee? Or,
>> does it have any kind of expiration date?
>
> Who knows?  It will be interesting to see whether the rules are included
> in a SpamAssassin distribution.

I think it was stated that the fee is annual.

   USMC Rules of Gunfighting #9: Accuracy is relative: most combat
   shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than
   the inherent accuracy of the gun.
  3 days until Thomas Jefferson's 266th Birthday

Re: emailreg.org (was: zen.spamhaus.org)

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.

At 04:52 10-04-2009, Rob McEwen wrote:
>I don't understand your last sentence above. It seems to make no sense.

I'll clarify off-list.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Fri, April 10, 2009 10:19, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> They could simply offer free registration for "old" domains...

+1

--
http://localhost/ 100% uptime and 100% mirrored :)

Re: emailreg.org (was: zen.spamhaus.org)

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.

Re: emailreg.org

Posted by Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com>.
SM wrote:
> Are you upset because people are paying money to a site with a domain
> owner hidden by the Whois privacy registration? :-)  Some antispam
> offers are big and easy money as there's always somebody ready to pay
> or to jump on the bandwagon because it is free.

I don't understand your last sentence above. It seems to make no sense.
But, regardless, I have been given both legal council and business
advice (each coming from different perspectives) that I should make no
further public comments regarding the operation of BRBL and
emailreg.org, at least not on a forum as public as the SA list.

EXCEPT TO STATE: Who knows much of anything for absolute certain about
this situation? For example, it is entirely within the realm of
possibility that emailreg.org is a separate non-commercial and
non-profit organization (as the ".org" seems to imply?). And maybe
emailreg.org really is a separate entity from Barracuda (as the
Barracuda's BRBL removal page seems to imply?). Some may ask, how could
that be? Simple. Barracuda may have simply donated the address space
and/or web hosting to the emailreg.org organization. Simple as that!.
And that (alone!) would be enough to explain the emailreg.org web site
being hosted in Barracuda address space.

AND EXCEPT TO ASK: Is that $20 fee a one-time fee? Or a yearly fee? Or,
does it have any kind of expiration date?

Beyond this statement and question, I'll leave it to others to do their
own research and draw their own conclusions.

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/