Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by michael böhm <ks...@gmx.net> on 2021/05/06 06:49:56 UTC

Docker image user

Hi everyone,

is there any reason why the process runs as root in the official docker image?

root         1  1.7  1.7 12824940 579476 ?     Ssl  08:20   0:20
/usr/local/openjdk-8/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/local/tomcat/conf/logging.properties
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager

Are there any plans to change that to something else (www-data or
"guacamole")?

Second question: Is there an example Dockerfile of how I could build my own
image based on your official image with all dependencies updated? It seems
that apt does not update java for example.

Thanks and best wishes

Michael

commands, e-mail: user-help@guacamole.apache.org

Re: Docker image user

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 2:50 AM michael böhm <ks...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> is there any reason why the process runs as root in the official docker
> image?
>
> root         1  1.7  1.7 12824940 579476 ?     Ssl  08:20   0:20
> /usr/local/openjdk-8/bin/java
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/local/tomcat/conf/logging.properties
> -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager

It's just how the Docker image was originally built. Docker isn't
necessarily the most straight-forward in terms of changing user accounts
for processes, so it has taken a bit of work to do this.

> Are there any plans to change that to something else (www-data or
> "guacamole")?

Yes, the change has already been merged into the git repo, so it should be
in the next release:

https://github.com/apache/guacamole-client/pull/554

> Second question: Is there an example Dockerfile of how I could build my
> own image based on your official image with all dependencies updated? It
> seems that apt does not update java for example.

You can use the source code in the git repo - the Dockerfile is there:
https://github.com/apache/guacamole-client
https://github.com/apache/guacamole-client/blob/master/Dockerfile

-Nick