Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <To...@Jarnbjo.name> on 2006/12/02 14:59:18 UTC

POP3 "list" performance

Hi,

I decided to change my mail server to James a few days ago, to be able
to use homemade Mailets, and except for a single problem, everything
seem to work more or less as expected.

I've configured James to use a local MySQL database as message store
(including the message body in the database) and even if access to the
database seem more than performant enough, issuing the LIST command
through POP3 slows down incredibly, as soon as I have a few hundred
messages in by mailbox. At the moment, I have about 500 messages in my
mailbox with a total size of about 4MB. Using the MySQL client to dump
the inbox entries for my mailbox to a file takes 100-150ms, issuing the
LIST command to the POP3 server takes about 25 seconds. During the
execution of the LIST command, both the James process, as well as MySQL
are only using a few % of the CPU each.

Is there any obvious reason for this kind of behaviour or anything I can
do to find out what's going wrong?

Regards,

Tor-Einar