Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2020/09/16 18:37:13 UTC

[DISCUSS] Upgrades - JDK 15, Guava, log4j

I have created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4259 to
upgrade to JDK 15 before release 1.26.

I also propose upgrading Guava and log4j2, and removing log4j (which
seems to have reached end-of-life).

I did a quick test and JDK 15 and guava-29.0-jre seem to work fine. So
the main task is update CI, release notes and gradle.properties.

Are there any other dependencies we should upgrade?

We support a wide range of Guava versions (19.0 to 28.2-jre) and I
think we should continue. However, we currently default to the oldest
supported version, and that increases our vulnerability. Going
forward, I think we should default to the newest version.

If you disagree with any of the above, please comment in the JIRA case.

Julian