Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2000/10/14 12:41:18 UTC

A happy unsubscriber

I'm unsubscribing from this list.

I'm unsubscribing because I'm happy: my little shaking showed things
that make me confident for the future of this project.

1) the developers are wise (most of them ignored my attacks).

2) work is being done in a friendly and open manner (who says the
opposite is simply not accepting the leading roles of the current
developers, which is clearly deserved).

3) my fork was rejected by the community, by individuals. This shows the
community exists and it's loyal to the project.

There was only one thing that could lead future friction: referring to
groups instead of individuals.

I would kindly suggest all of you to forget about working affiliation
and call people with their names only: this will give much more
stability to the effort in the longer run since affiliations might
change, while the names do not.

This said, I would like to apologize for having wasted your time and
energy.

But I would like to thank you for your patience and for the great work
you have been doing so far and you'll continue to do in the future.

Keep up the good work.

And in case you need some assistance for stupid political problems that
stop you from coding and do what you like, you know my email address.

Take care.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
[I missed the original message, so this is a reply to a reply..]

Neil de Hoog wrote:

> > Were you speaking on your own behalf, or did
> > you have the entire ASF behind you in this venture?

NO-ONE speaks for the entire ASF, except possibly the board
of directors, and that very rarely and cautiously indeed.
We're all individuals.  Stefano was very definitely doing
things on his own.
--
#ken    P-)}

Posted by Tako Schotanus <qu...@palacio-cristal.com>.
> > I am very worried, however, that you - as an ASF-member, and using that
> > identity (email address) in this - take to this kind of behaviour to see
> > how a project is going, and I sincerely believe that you have done more
> > damage than good in this.  Were you speaking on your own behalf, or did
> > you have the entire ASF behind you in this venture?
> Well I sincerely am very happy he took this kind of behaviour. I share
> his opinions on the poor state of the community building process. I also
> think it is not fair to criticize him like you do and others did. He
> tried to fix somthing he saw was wrong. Pretty normal and very useful I
> think.
>
> --
>
> Neil de Hoog

I disagree. Observing if a community continues to function well under all kinds of circumstances is ok, but to trying provoke people to see if the community is stable enough is just not way you handle this kind of situation. It was obvious that some people got fed up with the constant message overload about a subject this list isn't meant for. I know several unsubscribed from the list because they didn't want to be bothered anymore. And you think that is a GOOD thing? I personally don't think it was very constructive.

-Tako

Re: A happy unsubscriber

Posted by Neil de Hoog <ne...@lunatech.com>.

neil@lunatech.com
neil@v2.nl

Posted by Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen <tr...@mrbean.stibo.dk>.
* Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> [Oct 14. 2000 15:12]:
> I'm unsubscribing from this list.
>
> I'm unsubscribing because I'm happy: my little shaking showed things
> that make me confident for the future of this project.

Glad that you are satisfied with your little prank.

I am very worried, however, that you - as an ASF-member, and using that
identity (email address) in this - take to this kind of behaviour to see
how a project is going, and I sincerely believe that you have done more
damage than good in this.  Were you speaking on your own behalf, or did
you have the entire ASF behind you in this venture?

This is especially since you have a project of your own - Cocoon - that
would a much better candidate for a quick shake.  Personally I have
stopped to believe that it will ever come to a Cocoon 2 release, but I
feel confident that a Xerces 2 will be written in a reasonable time.

Best regards,
--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen