Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Lewis <lo...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/06 23:19:37 UTC

Problems talking to the cluster over VPN

I have code to talk to a remote cluster where host = "myhost:" and port =
9000

       String connectString =   "hdfs://" + host + ":" + port + "/";
        try {
            Configuration config = new Configuration();

            config.set("fs.default.name",connectString);

            m_DFS = FileSystem.get(config);
        }
        catch (IOException e) {
            throw new RuntimeException("Failed to connect on " +
connectString + " because " + e.getMessage() +
               " exception of class " + e.getClass(),e);
        }

The code runs properly if I  run at work but at home over the VPN it times
out

IT assures me that no ports are blocked on the VPN

in the browser http://myhost:50075/browseDirectory.jsp?dir=/<http://glados2:50075/browseDirectory.jsp?dir=/>

shows the hdfs file system when I an connected on the VPN

I am on Windows 7 at home and at work and turning off the firewall does not
help

Any Bright Ideas

--
Steven M. Lewis PhD