Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Peter Rose <pe...@cyberscreen.com> on 2005/01/26 10:45:26 UTC

[users@httpd] Problems loading mod_rewrite in Apache 1.3

I am running  Apache 1.3.29 with all modules loading as DSO's.
I recently decided to use mod_rewrite and compiled the module from the
source tarball code, then made the usual entries in httpd.conf.
However, on restarting the server, I get this error:

Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_rewrite.so into server:
/usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_rewrite.so: undefined symbol: dbm_fetch

It seems this is quite a common problem, but I haven't found a solution
that works for me yet.

I tried this one at http://www.vttoth.com/rewrite.htm but still get the
same error.

I have gdbm 1.8.3 on my system, which I believe is a good enough version,
but I'm open to correction.

Is there a definitive solution to this?

Thanks!

Peter Rose
London UK

Re: [users@httpd] Problems loading mod_rewrite in Apache 1.3

Posted by Dick Davies <ra...@hellooperator.net>.
* Peter Rose <pe...@cyberscreen.com> [0135 09:35]:
> I am running  Apache 1.3.29 with all modules loading as DSO's.
> I recently decided to use mod_rewrite and compiled the module from the
> source tarball code, then made the usual entries in httpd.conf.
> However, on restarting the server, I get this error:
>

> Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_rewrite.so into server:
> /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_rewrite.so: undefined symbol: dbm_fetch

Yeah, you've built it wrong. It can't find whatever lib holds dbm_fetch
at runtime. an 'ldd /usr/local/apache/libexec/mod_rewrite.so' might tell
you what's missing, then you need to tell the dynamic loader where the
library is  (but that's platform specific).

--
'Sweet Zombie Jesus!'
		-- Prof. Farnsworth