Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Thomas Van Buskirk <tv...@scu.edu> on 2006/08/02 19:14:08 UTC

settings.xml file "inheritance" (for lack of a better word)

Hello,

My group is working in an NFS mounted environment.  I would like to have everyone running maven from a central location, with a centrally located settings.xml file in the conf directory, rather than everyone having their own settings.xml file in their $HOME/.m2 directories.

That way, if a change is made to the settings.xml file, it will propogate to all people, rather than having to send out an email to each person telling them to modify their $HOME/.m2/settings.xml file with the change.

My concern is that people may individually want to modify certain parts of the settings.xml file for their specific projects (add variables, etc.) that may not apply to other projects, or may have different values than for other projects.

Now, my question:

If an individual has a settings.xml file in their $HOME/.m2   ** AND **   in their $MAVEN_HOME/conf, does the .m2 version take precedence over the conf version?  Does it "inherit" from the conf version?  If so, what fields are inherited?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Re: settings.xml file "inheritance" (for lack of a better word)

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
Yes, everything is inherited, and the local settings take precedence. If you
have questions about how the inheritance is computed, try:

mvn help:effective-settings

HTH,

john