Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by kc...@gre.ac.uk on 2004/03/16 21:58:53 UTC

Xindice Questionnaire

Dear All

I am currently working on a study into Xindice and am looking to ascertain the
the different uses of Xindice as a database and was wondering if you could
spare a few minutes of your time to answer some questions?

1 - What is the primary use or uses of Xindice?  For example, is it for
commercial , University projects, personal or some other type of project?

2 - What type of documents are being stored - data-centric or document centric?

3 - What is/are the subject area/areas of the documents being stored?

4 - Is round-tripping an issue?

5 - Is there a frequent need to query and update documents on a fine-
grained/fragment level?

6 -  Is Xindice being used for small projects with local users or is it being
used for large scale projects where users are potentially global?

7 - Please provide additional information you deem useful

Thank you for your cooperation

Regards

Chris Kite

Re: Xindice Questionnaire

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@tagish.com>.
kc309@gre.ac.uk wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I am currently working on a study into Xindice and am looking to ascertain the
> the different uses of Xindice as a database and was wondering if you could
> spare a few minutes of your time to answer some questions?
>
> 1 - What is the primary use or uses of Xindice?  For example, is it for
> commercial , University projects, personal or some other type of project?

Two commercial projects - one going live currently which is using 1.1b3
in an unmodified form and one in development which is using 1.1b3 with
full text indexing added. We're contributing the FT code back to the
project.

> 2 - What type of documents are being stored - data-centric or document centric?

I'm not sure if I fully understand the question but I think data-centric
is the answer in both cases.

> 3 - What is/are the subject area/areas of the documents being stored?

UK local government.

> 4 - Is round-tripping an issue?

Not really.

> 5 - Is there a frequent need to query and update documents on a fine-
> grained/fragment level?

No.

> 6 -  Is Xindice being used for small projects with local users or is it being
> used for large scale projects where users are potentially global?

In both cases the users will be national (UK)

> 7 - Please provide additional information you deem useful

We're enjoying working with Xindice and looking forward to being able to
extend it to suit our needs and, in cases where the broader user
community is interested in the fruits of that work, contributing code
back to the project.

We're already committers on Tomcat (actually jakarta-tomcat-connectors)
so this is a natural extension of that work for us.

--
Andy Armstrong, Tagish

Re: Xindice Questionnaire

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@tagish.com>.
Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
> For what purpose?  Do you mean as a kind of community-built map?  I had
> thought of doing that; it could be really useful.  For example, I could
> add on all of the major landmarks, etc. in my local area, perhaps with
> photos and links to external web pages where appropriate.  Of course, it
> will all get much more interesting when we all have geo-locatable
> camera-phones... 8-)
>
> But perhaps I miss your point.

My main interest at the moment is the exchange of GPS data and the
ability to find data local to a particularl location but there are, of
course, other geospatial applications. As you say once geoaware devices
become more common it all gets a lot more interesting.

--
Andy Armstrong, Tagish

Re: Xindice Questionnaire

Posted by Jonathan Melhuish <j....@signal.qinetiq.com>.
Andy Armstrong a écrit :

> In case anyone is interested (I'm pushing my luck now, right?) my next
> Xindice project is to define an XML schema that describes the data
> people upload to their GPS receivers (tracks, waypoints, routes) and
> build a website that serves that data from Xindice. I'm currently
> (getting ahead of myself by) thinking about geospatial extensions that
> will make it possible to search by proximity &c. This is a personal
> project which would probably never be commercial.

For what purpose?  Do you mean as a kind of community-built map?  I had
thought of doing that; it could be really useful.  For example, I could
add on all of the major landmarks, etc. in my local area, perhaps with
photos and links to external web pages where appropriate.  Of course, it
will all get much more interesting when we all have geo-locatable
camera-phones... 8-)

But perhaps I miss your point.

Cheers,

Jon

Re: Xindice Questionnaire

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@tagish.com>.
Upayavira wrote:
> Yeow. You get that right - I'll use it. Give me a query that says "find
> me the nearest..." and I'd be ___reallllllllly____ happy.

I'll keep you posted :)

--
Andy Armstrong, Tagish

Re: Xindice Questionnaire

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Andy Armstrong wrote:

> Murray Altheim wrote:
>
>>> Sorry Murray - I assumed people would be interested.
>>

>> Andy,
>>
>> Well, I didn't mean to assume they wouldn't be. It is interesting
>> to see what people are doing with Xindice.
>

> I think you were right on the whole Murray :)
>
> However I /am/ still interested to hear what people are using Xindice
> for. I guess Kite will summarise the results.
>
> In case anyone is interested (I'm pushing my luck now, right?) my next
> Xindice project is to define an XML schema that describes the data
> people upload to their GPS receivers (tracks, waypoints, routes) and
> build a website that serves that data from Xindice. I'm currently
> (getting ahead of myself by) thinking about geospatial extensions that
> will make it possible to search by proximity &c. This is a personal
> project which would probably never be commercial.

Yeow. You get that right - I'll use it. Give me a query that says "find
me the nearest..." and I'd be ___reallllllllly____ happy.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Xindice Questionnaire

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@tagish.com>.

Re: Xindice Questionnaire

Posted by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk>.
Andy Armstrong wrote:
> Murray Altheim wrote:
>
>>I'm sure it would be appreciated by many on the list if replies to
>>this query could be sent directly to the poller rather than to the
>>list. At least by me.
>
> Sorry Murray - I assumed people would be interested.

Andy,

Well, I didn't mean to assume they wouldn't be. It is interesting
to see what people are doing with Xindice. But this does seem to
invite a huge amount of potential traffic for a list devoted to
discussing Xindice itself, not projects that might use Xindice.
In that sense, it might be considered off-topic. But I'm not the
list manager, so please take my message as merely a suggestion
from one person.

I'm not upset about it or anything. In retrospect, I'm honestly
the last person to snub anyone's attempt at community-building,
so if people want to share their experiences with Xindice, it
might do us all some good to see it.

So please ignore my admonition.

Murray

Murray Altheim                    http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK               .

   "Peoples' primary requirement is that some kind of coherence be
    provided. Stories give people the feeling that there is meaning,
    that there is ultimately an order lurking behind the incredible
    confusion of appearances and phenomena that surrounds them. This
    order is what people require more than anything else; yes, I
    would almost say that the notion of order or story is connected
    with the godhead. Stories are substitutes for God. Or maybe the
    other way round." -- Wim Winders

Re: Xindice Questionnaire

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@tagish.com>.

Re: Xindice Questionnaire