Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by KrishnaKumar Satyamurthy <kr...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/03 14:26:39 UTC

Question about Solr concept

Hi Solr Community Help,

We are new to Solr and have have a basic question about Solr functioning.
Is it possible to configure solr to perform searching only but not perform
any indexing by reading the indexes created by a second solr instance?

We really appreciate your kind response in this matter

Thanks,
Krishna

Re: Question about Solr concept

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
I believe the answer is yes, but specifics depends on whether you mean
online or offline index creation (as in when does the content appear)
and also why you want to do so.

Couple of ideas:
1) If you just want to make sure all updates are visible at once, you
can control that with commit strategies even in the same collection:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/updatehandlers-in-solrconfig.html#commits
2) If you are doing full re-indexing, you can do that on a separate
(identical) instance and bring it to the active instance to swap-in
and/or aliases:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/coreadmin-api.html#coreadmin-api
(for non SolrCloud),
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/collections-api.html#createalias
(for Cloud)
3) If you are looking at primary/read-only secondary options, latest
Solr has new replication strategies in SolrCloud mode:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/shards-and-indexing-data-in-solrcloud.html

Regards,
   Alex.