Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Michael Blow <mb...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/15 00:10:20 UTC

Jenkins Verified+1 job split

Greetings dev,

In recent weeks, newly added tests have caused the time for a Verified+1
vote to creep up to a (painfully) long 60-70 minutes.  I've rolled out a
change today that extracts out some of the testing into a new job
<https://asterix-jenkins.ics.uci.edu/job/asterix-gerrit-asterix-app/>,
which aggregates along with the existing job
<https://asterix-jenkins.ics.uci.edu/job/asterix-gerrit-notopic/> into a
single Verified vote.  This has reduced the wall-clock time to ~40 minutes.

Each job posts a comment when starting, with a single aggregate comment
being posted upon completion of both jobs, with the vote conclusion and
links to both jobs; see example below.

As things stand currently, asterix-app tests run in a new job (
asterix-gerrit-asterix-app
<https://asterix-jenkins.ics.uci.edu/job/asterix-gerrit-asterix-app/>),
with the balance remaining in the asterix-gerrit-notopic
<https://asterix-jenkins.ics.uci.edu/job/asterix-gerrit-notopic/> job.  I
would like to split this once again, hopefully bringing the wall-clock time
down to ~ 30 minutes for a vote, but we'll need to hold off on that until
we increase our Jenkins slave capacity.

Thanks- and please let me know if you encounter any issues!

-MDB

e.g. https://asterix-gerrit.ics.uci.edu/#/c/1580/

Michael Blow
Uploaded patch set 1.
1:08 PM
Jenkins              1:11 PM

Patch Set 1:

Build Started
https://asterix-jenkins.ics.uci.edu/job/asterix-gerrit-notopic/4686/ (1/2)
Jenkins              1:15 PM

Patch Set 1:

Build Started
https://asterix-jenkins.ics.uci.edu/job/asterix-gerrit-asterix-app/5/ (2/2)
Jenkins              1:56 PM

Patch Set 1: Verified+1

Build Successful

https://asterix-jenkins.ics.uci.edu/job/asterix-gerrit-notopic/4686/ :
SUCCESS

Re: Jenkins Verified+1 job split

Posted by Michael Blow <mb...@gmail.com>.
This change only applies to master, but we should be able to do something
equivalent for BAD. The challenge is that as we add some fixed amount of
overhead per job, with our limited slave pool we are going to start to have
diminishing returns. Let's sync up on Skype later today.

Posted by Steven Jacobs <sj...@ucr.edu>.
Hi,