Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Tuomas Kiviaho <tu...@iki.fi> on 2008/02/08 12:28:22 UTC

Fine graining of activemq-core

Has there been any plans to fine grain activemq-core based on optional
dependencies.

-Separate library dedicated for a third party dependency would make it
possible to have activemq-core in parent classloader relative to for
instance activemq-spring.
-Removal of now obsolete dependencies from activemq-core pom.xml would
remove the need for explicit exclusions.
-No more NoClassDefFoundErrors caused by missing optional dependencies

This would ease out especially embedding which I found out to be quite a
trial-and-error iteration process on already existing system which uses same
dependencies as activemq-core. On the other hand overall complexity would be
increased.

Re: Fine graining of activemq-core

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Fri, Feb 8, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Tuomas Kiviaho <tu...@iki.fi> wrote:

>  Has there been any plans to fine grain activemq-core based on optional
>  dependencies.
>
>  -Separate library dedicated for a third party dependency would make it
>  possible to have activemq-core in parent classloader relative to for
>  instance activemq-spring.
>  -Removal of now obsolete dependencies from activemq-core pom.xml would
>  remove the need for explicit exclusions.
>  -No more NoClassDefFoundErrors caused by missing optional dependencies
>
>  This would ease out especially embedding which I found out to be quite a
>  trial-and-error iteration process on already existing system which uses same
>  dependencies as activemq-core. On the other hand overall complexity would be
>  increased.
>  --

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: Fine graining of activemq-core

Posted by Tuomas Kiviaho <tu...@iki.fi>.

Tuomas Kiviaho wrote:

> -No more NoClassDefFoundErrors caused by missing optional dependencies

And no more LinkageErrors. Today I had still one of those which are at least
easy to find because of the proper stack trace compared to the above.

Re: Fine graining of activemq-core

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Here are some thoughts on what could be externalized:
  * core (used by both the broker and client)
  * broker
  * client
  * pool
  * camel
  * stores
  * transports ..

I suppose we could keep backward compatibility by recreating an activemq-core
that would include all these modules.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet