Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Jeanne Waldman <je...@oracle.com> on 2007/09/27 22:21:28 UTC

[Trinidad] ValueExpression in 1.2 and ValueBinding in 1.1

Hi,

I have a question about ValueExpression and ValueBinding.

I have a new API to handle the translation-source feature for skins. The
SkinAddition has a new constructor that takes
a ValueExpression in the 1.2* Trinidad branch and a ValueBinding in
Trinidad trunk.

My understanding is that Trinidad trunk cannot use ValueExpression.
Is this true?

If so, is it ok to have an API that takes ValueBinding in trunk and
ValueExpression in 1.2*branch?
In other words, does the 1.2* branch of Trinidad have to keep backward
compatibility, thus I would have a deprecated constructor that takes
ValueBinding and another constructor that takes ValueExpression.

Thanks,
Jeanne

Re: [Trinidad] ValueExpression in 1.2 and ValueBinding in 1.1

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
>  Yeah, I was wondering what our policy is for backward compatibility between
> ValueExpression and ValueBinding.
>  I see we do it in some places (e.g., FacesBean) but not others (e.g.,
> DateTimeRangeValidator).

Not sure what you mean, but I see a set/get ValueExpression and
ValueBinding on the DateTimeRangeValidator, for instance ([1])

-Matthias

[1] http://tinyurl.com/2xsr26

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: [Trinidad] ValueExpression in 1.2 and ValueBinding in 1.1

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
For brand new APIs, I'm very tempted not to add "backwards compatibility"
to the 1.2 branch.  Dunno, could go either way on this one.

-- Adam

On 9/27/07, Jeanne Waldman <je...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> Hi,

> My understanding is that Trinidad trunk cannot use ValueExpression.
Is this
> true?

> yes, the ValueExpression comes from the unified el, which is part of JSP
> 2.1

> If so, is it ok to have an API that takes ValueBinding in trunk
> and
ValueExpression in 1.2*branch?
In other words, does the 1.2* branch of
> Trinidad have to keep backward
compatibility, thus I would have a deprecated
> constructor that takes
ValueBinding and another constructor that takes
> ValueExpression.

> I think doing the two constructors, where one takes VBinding and
> is
deprecated is OK.
JSF API itself also keeps the "old" methods for
> backward compatibility
and adds new APIs that
work w/ the javax.el clazzes

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.