Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by ka...@nokia.com on 2011/01/08 12:14:36 UTC

LICENSE/NOTICE file contents

This list might be interested to know that the current Solr LICENSE and NOTICE file contents are not Apache standard.  The ManifoldCF project based its LICENSE and NOTICE files on the Solr ones and got the following icy reception in the incubator:

The NOTICE file is still incorrect and includes a lot of unnecessary
stuff. Understanding how to do releases with the correct legal files
is one of the important parts of incubation and as this is the first
release for the poddling i think this needs to be sorted out.

For the NOTICE file, start with the following text (between the ---'s):

---
Apache ManifestCF
Copyright 2010 The Apache Software Foundation

This product includes software developed by
---

and then add _nothing_ unless you can find explicit policy documented
somewhere in the ASF that says it is required. If someone wants to add
something ask for the URL where the requirement is documented. The
NOTICE file should only include required notices, the other text thats
in the current NOTICE file could go in a README file, see
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

For the LICENSE file, it should start with the AL as the current one
does, and then include the text for all the other licenses used in the
distribution. Those license that are currently in the NOTICE file
should be moved to the LICENSE file and then you need to verify that
all the 3rd party dependencies in the src and binary distributions are
also in the LICENSE files of those distributions.

<<<<<<

Our NOTICE includes the following, which was taken from Solr (because we have a similar dependency).  I'd like to know whether it is a valid thing to include, and where it says that "somewhere in Apache":

==     Jetty Notice                                                    ==
 Jetty Web Container
 Copyright 1995-2006 Mort Bay Consulting Pty Ltd

This product includes some software developed at The Apache Software
Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

The javax.servlet package used by Jetty is copyright
Sun Microsystems, Inc and Apache Software Foundation. It is
distributed under the Common Development and Distribution License.
You can obtain a copy of the license at
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDLv1.0.html.

The UnixCrypt.java code ~Implements the one way cryptography used by
Unix systems for simple password protection.  Copyright 1996 Aki Yoshida,
modified April 2001  by Iris Van den Broeke, Daniel Deville.

The default JSP implementation is provided by the Glassfish JSP engine
from project Glassfish http://glassfish.dev.java.net.  Copyright 2005
Sun Microsystems, Inc. and portions Copyright Apache Software Foundation.

Some portions of the code are Copyright:
  2006 Tim Vernum
  1999 Jason Gilbert.

The jboss integration module contains some LGPL code.

==     HSQLDB Notice                                                   ==

For content, code, and products originally developed by Thomas Mueller and the Hypersonic SQL Group:

Copyright (c) 1995-2000 by the Hypersonic SQL Group.
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Neither the name of the Hypersonic SQL Group nor the names of its
contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE HYPERSONIC SQL GROUP,
OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many individuals on behalf of the
Hypersonic SQL Group.

For work added by the HSQL Development Group (a.k.a. hsqldb_lic.txt):

Copyright (c) 2001-2005, The HSQL Development Group
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

Neither the name of the HSQL Development Group nor the names of its
contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL HSQL DEVELOPMENT GROUP, HSQLDB.ORG,
OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
<<<<<<

Karl

Re: LICENSE/NOTICE file contents

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Because they are shipped with Solr.  I don't see why it hurts to give people information about what's in the download.

On Jan 8, 2011, at 8:10 AM, <ka...@nokia.com> <ka...@nokia.com> wrote:

> From svn, Yonik seems to be the go-to guy for LICENSE and NOTICE stuff.  Yonik, do you remember why the HSQLDB and Jetty notice text was included in Solr's NOTICE.txt?  The incubator won't release ManifoldCF until we answer this question. ;-)
>
> Karl

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem docs using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

RE: LICENSE/NOTICE file contents

Posted by ka...@nokia.com.
Everyone should (carefully) read the Apache License 2.0 section 4(d).  It turns out that Apache has a somewhat unusual definition for the term "derivative work".  It has to be something you actually modified, not just include.  So the incubator approach seems correct; neither the HSQLDB notice nor the Jetty notice belong in the Solr NOTICE.txt file.

For ManifoldCF, I just moved them to the end of the README.txt.  The old notice text is different from the corresponding LICENSE.txt text in both cases, so it did not make sense to either eliminate them or move them to LICENSE.txt.

Thanks,
Karl

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Yonik Seeley
<yo...@lucidimagination.com> wrote:

> There also wasn't any business about "and then add _nothing_ unless
> you can find explicit policy documented
> somewhere in the ASF that says it is required."  I was following
> examples from other projects and any docs I could find at the time,
> but this was back in '06.

Not sure there is now either, this is likely just someone's opinion.

RE: LICENSE/NOTICE file contents

Posted by ka...@nokia.com.

Nope - wasn't me that added the license stuff into NOTICE.txt ;-)
But, including Jetty's NOTICE seems appropriate for our NOTICE.  It's
just the license parts of the HSQLDB and SLF4J that should be moved to
LICENSE.txt
<<<<<<

The NOTICE text is actually different from the LICENSE text for HSQLDB, which is why I thought it must have come from an HSQLDB NOTICE file.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM,  <ka...@nokia.com> wrote:
> From svn, Yonik seems to be the go-to guy for LICENSE and NOTICE stuff.  Yonik, do you remember why the HSQLDB and Jetty notice text was included in Solr's NOTICE.txt?

Nope - wasn't me that added the license stuff into NOTICE.txt ;-)
But, including Jetty's NOTICE seems appropriate for our NOTICE.  It's
just the license parts of the HSQLDB and SLF4J that should be moved to
LICENSE.txt

There also wasn't any business about "and then add _nothing_ unless
you can find explicit policy documented
somewhere in the ASF that says it is required."  I was following
examples from other projects and any docs I could find at the time,
but this was back in '06.

-Yonik

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.