Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com> on 2007/12/06 03:38:35 UTC

modperl on Win32 is still happening

Looking at the (albeit small) stream of entries to the mailing list, I'm
actually quite happy to notice that people are:
1. Still using modperl. Some newbie questions may suggest fresh blood...
2. Still using modperl on Win32 (despite the 'limitations'). Good news
for Microsoft, but I personally believe it's a gentle step for people to
learn modperl, then move into the Linux/ BSD platform.

Re: modperl on Win32 is still happening

Posted by Jim Brandt <cb...@buffalo.edu>.
With thread support in mod_perl 2, it's much more of an option on Win32
than with mod_perl 1, so you might even see more interest from the
Windows side.

--
Jim Brandt
Administrative Computing Services

Re: modperl on Win32 is still happening

Posted by Colin Wetherbee <cw...@denterprises.org>.
Foo JH wrote:
> 3. Fast to cook, good to eat

That's my favorite part of mod_perl.

It goes down well with cookies, too, but tastes awful with Java. ;)

And, you know, to keep this on topic, I like the idea that mod_perl on
Windows can be a springboard of sorts for people who may eventually be
driven to use mod_perl on other platforms.  Supporting Windows with
technologies like mod_perl seems like a kind of viral evangelism, and as
long as mod_perl continues to work well on Windows, Windows-centric
people will continue to be interested in mod_perl.

Colin

Re: modperl on Win32 is still happening

Posted by Foo JH <jh...@extracktor.com>.
Firstly: mod_perl is a good choice. :) There are other languages out
there which can probably do the same job 90% of the time. But what you
have chosen is a language that is:
1. OS independent
2. Highly extensible via CPAN
3. Fast to cook, good to eat

It's not a question of whether you can do job X with language Y, but
it's more of how easily it is done, and how flexible it can be. mod_perl
tends to do pretty well in that path.

Posted by Vladimir Yardan <vl...@gmail.com>.