Posted to user@struts.apache.org by delbd <de...@oma.be> on 2005/05/31 11:59:10 UTC

Re: HOWTO: multiple values field | please don't mix threads

Please don't use a replay to another mail as the basis of your questions. This
mixes the mail Threads and make it more difficult to manage!

Well this all doesn't answer my original question on multivalue fields, still
pending ^_^

--
David Delbecq
Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium

RE: Dynamically adding components to pages (using struts and custom tags)

Posted by Marius Botha <ma...@workpool.co.za>.
>In my opinion, using custom tags for this purpose is not the best way
>to go.  Custom tags are meant to decouple code from markup.

I tend to agree with you.

>I would (A) either use a controller/navigation switch for this (B)
>or use some logic on the page for this, e.g. <c:if>, etc.

What do you mean by (A)?

(B) seems like the only practical option at the moment. My controller will
return a list of "attributes" (to be completed by the user on this step). I
will then have to go though each of them (iteratively) and use something
like <c:choose> to display or not display the custom tag associated to this
attribute (like a calendar control, text box, etc.). Does that sound about
right?

Thanks.

Re: Dynamically adding components to pages (using struts and custom tags)

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
Not sure why Rahul sent you a reference to your own question.  Sort of
encourages strange iterations!  ///;-)  Just kidding!

In my opinion, using custom tags for this purpose is not the best way
to go.  Custom tags are meant to decouple code from markup.  I would

On 5/31/05, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [ http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=taglibs-user&m=111756793724193&w=2 ]
>
> -Rahul
>

> On 5/31/05, Marius Botha <ma...@workpool.co.za> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Hope someone can help me.
> >
> > I have a requirement where my system needs to prompt users for certain
> > information at certain times in a process. To do this I need to be able to
> > add components to a page at run time based on a user's permissions. E.g. if
> > the user is supposed to specify a date for the process to continue, I need
> > to provide a calendar control; and if the user needs to enter a name, then
> > provide a textbox. I have developed my own custom tags that I would want to
> > use but I have the following questions:
> >
> > 1. How do I reuse my components in such an environment? I suppose I would
> > need to provide a StringBuffer or something to my component to write to
> > (how?) and then call the doStartTag(), etc. methods manually?
> > 2. How do I implement this in the JSP, seeing as the html/tags would have to
> > be inserted at a certain stage. Has anyone done this before or can you give
> > me any pointers?
> >
> > Much appreciated.
> >
> > Marius Botha

~Dakota Jack~

Re: Dynamically adding components to pages (using struts and custom tags)

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.