Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Celso Magalhães Dantas Neto <ce...@reconcavo.org.br> on 2012/01/25 12:45:20 UTC

Tomcat memory requirements

Hey everyone!

Does anyone knows where I can find any information about Tomcat memory
requirements?

Here's the problem: I got a client who's running a Tomcat process in his
machine and it is taking around 150MB of RAM and he is complaining about
it. It's a webapp and for me it's normal to a webapp to take that amount of
memory, but I want to argue with him with some data.

So I'm looking for some Tomcat memory requirements info, even if it's a
memory requirements to run Tomcat only, with no deployed webapp. It will
help me to argue with him.

Thanks!

--
<http://www.reconcavo.org.br/> *CELSO DANTAS*

*Pesquisa & Inovação
+ 55 71 2101.4104  |  skype: celsomdantas*
Antes de imprimir pense em seu compromisso com o Meio Ambiente.

Re: Tomcat memory requirements

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat memory requirements

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Celso Magalhães Dantas Neto wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> Does anyone knows where I can find any information about Tomcat memory
> requirements?
>
> Here's the problem: I got a client who's running a Tomcat process in his
> machine and it is taking around 150MB of RAM and he is complaining about
> it. It's a webapp and for me it's normal to a webapp to take that amount of
> memory, but I want to argue with him with some data.
>
> So I'm looking for some Tomcat memory requirements info, even if it's a
> memory requirements to run Tomcat only, with no deployed webapp. It will
> help me to argue with him.

I do not speak Portuguese, but let me suggest the quickest and cheapest way to respond to
your customer : buy the amount of RAM needed to run your application, and offer it to him.
The current price is somewhere around 15 US$ per GigaByte.
By the time you end discussing the matter with him, you will have spent much more than that.

And tell your customer that his portable phone probably has more memory in it, than his
server.

Tomcat is a Java application; your webapp running inside Tomcat is also a Java
application; and Java needs (comparatively) a lot of RAM to work well.
150 MB is absolutely nothing in that context.  Just for an idea : we have a Tomcat with a
single (and simple) webapp, and depending on the number of users, we allocate up to 2048
MB to the Java heap for Tomcat.

Re: Tomcat memory requirements

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.
Really sorry about that =[

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by chris derham <ch...@derham.me.uk>.

> Hi Celso, you signature is in portuguese because that i will talk in
> portuguese...
>
> Tenho 12 anos de experiência com Linux e dois livros publicados, nunca
> vi um tomcat rodar sem consumir umas cacetadas de megas de memória,
> acho que o java, é uma plataforma ruim, mas que todo mundo defende e
> quer usar, talvez seja mais facil desenvolver em Java, o que eu acho
> difícil ser verdade, talvez seja mais fácil a portabilidade, mas eu
> acho improvavel o php não ser portável e não haver outras coisas
> portáveis como o ruby.
>
> O que eu sei é que em todas as empresas que fui para resolver algum
> problema no servidor, estava na lista o tomcat que consumia memória.
> Por exemplo na empresa que estou atualmente o tomcat consome 2 GB de
> memória, num sistema que processa 2 milhões de registros, apesar de
> parecer "Explicável" isso jamais aconteceria se estivessemos usando
> php, nunca fui numa empresa e me reclamaram que uma aplicação php
> estivesse lenta ou comendo memória, isso é uma lenda.
>
> Mas uma lenda mesmmo é dizer que o Linux vai resolver o problema do
> Java, que é comer memória até o infinito, talvez os desenvolvedores é
> que sejam muito ruins, mas estou para achar um bom então, pois toda
> empresa que fui mesmo problema, espero que eu não seja expulso desta
> lista por dizer isso. Mas infelizmente todos aqui no fundo do coração
> devem saber que é verdade.
>
> Agora, se ta travando seu sistema começe aumentando a memória da
> máquina virtual do java.
>
> For the benefit of the non-portuguese speaking list members, Luciano
basically has a rant about

1) how in his experience java always consumes lots of memory
2) how php is much better
3) how php doesn't randomly consume memory

He also wishes that he is not expelled from the mailing list for making
these comments. Rather than having a php vs java discussion, I would just
reply that the java process is configured to have a maximum amount of
memory. The java process will never exceed this. If you have gone into an
environment where hte server is using 2gb of memory, then it was explicitly
configured to do so. It is not true to say that "java just kept on
consuming memory infinitely"

> 2012/1/25, Celso Magalhães Dantas Neto <ce...@reconcavo.org.br>:
> > Hey everyone!
> >
> > Does anyone knows where I can find any information about Tomcat memory
> > requirements?

Couldn't you just run tomcat without any webapps installed? Surely that
would provide the information that you require? Presumably it would be
different on each platform, so doing this on your target platform would be
easiest

> > Here's the problem: I got a client who's running a Tomcat process in his
> > machine and it is taking around 150MB of RAM and he is complaining about
> > it. It's a webapp and for me it's normal to a webapp to take that amount
> of
> > memory, but I want to argue with him with some data.

If in his server tomcat process takes 150MB of memory, what is the issue?
The box has more than 150MB of memory free right, so what's wrong?

 > So I'm looking for some Tomcat memory requirements info, even if it's a
> > memory requirements to run Tomcat only, with no deployed webapp. It will
> > help me to argue with him.

Good luck

Chris

Re: Tomcat memory requirements

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/01/2012 11:55, Luciano Andress Martini wrote:
> Hi Celso, you signature is in portuguese because that i will talk in
> portuguese...

This list conducts its business in English. We do not normally use other
languages.

If anyone feels unable to express themselves in English then by all
means include a translation of your message in your native language *in
addition* to the English version. In the unlikely event your message is
not understood (my experience of this list is that people who think they
have poor English actually have pretty good English and they can easily
be understood) the native language versions + Google translate + the
English version is usually more than enough for you to be understood.

> Tenho 12 anos de experiência com Linux e dois livros publicados, nunca
> vi um tomcat rodar sem consumir umas cacetadas de megas de memória,
> acho que o java, é uma plataforma ruim, mas que todo mundo defende e
> quer usar, talvez seja mais facil desenvolver em Java, o que eu acho
> difícil ser verdade, talvez seja mais fácil a portabilidade, mas eu
> acho improvavel o php não ser portável e não haver outras coisas
> portáveis como o ruby.
>
> O que eu sei é que em todas as empresas que fui para resolver algum
> problema no servidor, estava na lista o tomcat que consumia memória.
> Por exemplo na empresa que estou atualmente o tomcat consome 2 GB de
> memória, num sistema que processa 2 milhões de registros, apesar de
> parecer "Explicável" isso jamais aconteceria se estivessemos usando
> php, nunca fui numa empresa e me reclamaram que uma aplicação php
> estivesse lenta ou comendo memória, isso é uma lenda.
>
> Mas uma lenda mesmmo é dizer que o Linux vai resolver o problema do
> Java, que é comer memória até o infinito, talvez os desenvolvedores é
> que sejam muito ruins, mas estou para achar um bom então, pois toda
> empresa que fui mesmo problema, espero que eu não seja expulso desta
> lista por dizer isso. Mas infelizmente todos aqui no fundo do coração
> devem saber que é verdade.
>
> Agora, se ta travando seu sistema começe aumentando a memória da
> máquina virtual do java.

Rather than bashing Java, it would have been more helpful to actually
answer the original poster's question (which I will do separately).

Mark

Posted by Luciano Andress Martini <77...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/1/25 Celso Magalhães Dantas Neto <ce...@reconcavo.org.br>:
> Hey everyone!
>
> Does anyone knows where I can find any information about Tomcat memory
> requirements?
>
> Here's the problem: I got a client who's running a Tomcat process in his
> machine and it is taking around 150MB of RAM and he is complaining about
> it. It's a webapp and for me it's normal to a webapp to take that amount of
> memory, but I want to argue with him with some data.
>
> So I'm looking for some Tomcat memory requirements info, even if it's a
> memory requirements to run Tomcat only, with no deployed webapp. It will
> help me to argue with him.

1. Tomcat version=?

2. Take a memory dump and examine with a profiler.
E.g. http://eclipse.org/mat/

(IIRC Tomcat FAQ has links to other tools as well)

3. How that 150Mb is measured? How many threads the Connectors are
configured to have? Note that each system Thread needs some memory for
its stack.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat memory requirements

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 25/01/2012 18:19, Celso Magalhães Dantas Neto wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the reply!
>
> My problem is not to argue how the application is consuming RAM, but to
> show that 150MB is not too much memory. But for that I'd like to use
> trusted information such as an article, or official info. The client
> doesn't understand anything about technologies but has opened the Windows
> Task Manager and saw that Tomcat is on top 3 in memory consumption. I just
> need to argue with him that 150MB is normal for a Java web app.
>
> I know that "normal" really depends on how your/my application has been
> developed but I was just wondering if I could find information about memory
> consumption of a small 1 CRUD application (for example).
>
> And yes I could start Tomcat with no app, and create a 1 CRUD application,
> but I would prefer to argue with some trusted article or official
> information.
>
> Ah! BTW, I'm not complaining about Java or Tomcat memory consumption! I'm
> just trying to argue with the client. =D
> And I'm running Tomcat 6 and Java 1.6

I work for a fairly large & well known company that ships a commercial
version of Tomcat with the default heap size set to 512Mb.

I regularly see heaps of 2Gb and more at work with customers.

Quibbling about memory size because the number 'seems a bit large' is a
waste of your customer and your own time.  If they're not paying for you
for the time you take to explain, just tell them it's normal & move on.

> thanks, again!
>
> --
> <http://www.reconcavo.org.br/> *CELSO DANTAS*
>
> *Pesquisa & Inovação
> + 55 71 2101.4104  |  skype: celsomdantas*
> Antes de imprimir pense em seu compromisso com o Meio Ambiente.
>

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> Pid * wrote:
>>

>>> And of this, a Tomcat instance with just the ROOT application can be
>>> observed to consume from ~6Mb to ~10Mb of RAM in the object heap with
>>> a nice stable sawtooth on most systems.
>>>
>>>  Not that I want to cast doubt upon your measurements, but somehow that
>> seems hard to believe.  This is without any requests being processed,
>> surely ?
>>
>> A standard out-of-the-box tomcat-7 on my Windows XP 32-bit laptop, started
>> from the command window with startup.bat, shows 40 MB in Task Manager,
>> without any requests being processed. Granted, that probably includes the
>> demo apps, but still.
>> It goes to 50 MB as soon as I call up the home page.
>>
>> Ah, OK, you were just talking about the heap..

[key:62590808]

Re: Tomcat memory requirements

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 26/01/2012 00:25, André Warnier wrote:
> Pid wrote:
>>
>> I'm not actually a committer.  Just a mailing list lurker.
>>
> but you are close to the gods..

Aww shucks

[key:62590808]

Re: Tomcat memory requirements

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 25/01/2012 21:48, André Warnier wrote:
> [...]
> Many of the people here answering questions are members of the official
> Tomcat development team.  "MarkT" and "Pid" who answered before, /are/
> Tomcat developers.  How much more "official" do you need ?  Would some
> article on Google written by some unknown "expert" be better ?

I'm not actually a committer.  Just a mailing list lurker.

> And what these real experts have been telling you so far is that 150 MB
> of total memory shown in the Windows Task Manager, to run a Java JVM +
> Tomcat + an application is nothing that makes anybody wonder.  It looks
> perfectly "normal" for an application which does something useful, as we
> assume yours does.
>

> If it may help :
>
> Following are some snapshots taken tonight on different production Linux
> systems, using the Linux "ps" utility, and sorting the processes by
> memory usage (more memory first).
> In each case, Tomcat runs basically the same simple application,
> consisting of a single servlet.
> As you can see, in most cases the top slots are occupied by java
> processes, with Tomcat among them.  And they all use much more than 150
> MB, despite the fact that all these systems are in Europe, and not doing
> very much right now.
>

> system # 1 :
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> 26076 root      20   0 2386m 1.1g 9232 S    0  9.5  13:41.97 java
> 21875 tomcat55  20   0  698m 209m 9.8m S    0  1.7  54:02.10 jsvc
>  3862 star      20   0  418m 176m 8936 S    0  1.5  20:24.53 java
>
> system # 2 :
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>  3053 tomcat55  20   0  320m 120m  12m S    0  6.0 462:27.13 jsvc
>  2916 star      20   0  353m  93m  11m S    0  4.7 376:03.26 java
> 21871 star      20   0  285m  79m 7648 S    0  4.0   2:49.06 java
>
> system # 3 :
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> 32116 www-data  20   0  717m 198m 6044 S    0  9.9   0:57.12 apache2
>  2958 tomcat55  20   0  456m 195m 9368 S    0  9.7   2120:42 java
> 32065 star      20   0  411m 142m 8996 S    0  7.1  12:34.17 java
> 32126 www-data  20   0  667m 138m 6056 S    0  6.9   0:37.78 apache2
>
> system # 4 :
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>  3189 tomcat55  20   0  435m 296m  12m S 89.1 14.6   3049:49 jsvc
>  2744 root      20   0  3276 1348 1108 R  9.6  0.1   3658:11 vmware-guestd
> 17156 mira      20   0 40488  36m 2340 S  0.7  1.8 104:18.14 MiraLoader.pl
>  3234 star      20   0  214m  38m  11m S  0.3  1.9  46:10.17 java
>
> The "RES" column is the "resident" memory, "VIRT" is the virtual memory.
> Compare that with the equivalent columns in your customer's Windows Task
> Manager.
> Note : the "jsvc" program is also java, running Tomcat.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not have an equivalent system running Windows, but

[key:62590808]

Re: Tomcat memory requirements

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Celso Magalhães Dantas Neto <ce...@reconcavo.org.br>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 25 Jan 2012, at 12:53, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 25/01/2012 11:45, Celso Magalhães Dantas Neto wrote:
>> Hey everyone!
>>
>> Does anyone knows where I can find any information about Tomcat memory
>> requirements?
>
> Tomcat needs less than 20MB to start up. Everything after that depends
> on the application and the load level.
>
>> Here's the problem: I got a client who's running a Tomcat process in his
>> machine and it is taking around 150MB of RAM and he is complaining about
>> it. It's a webapp and for me it's normal to a webapp to take that amount of
>> memory, but I want to argue with him with some data.
>
> I have seen Tomcat running on JVMs with memory settings ranging from
> 32MB to 8GB. 150MB isn't unreasonable at first glance but it all depends
> on the app.
>
>> So I'm looking for some Tomcat memory requirements info, even if it's a
>> memory requirements to run Tomcat only, with no deployed webapp. It will
>> help me to argue with him.
>
> See above. The Tomcat only figure is less than 20MB.

And of this, a Tomcat instance with just the ROOT application can be
observed to consume from ~6Mb to ~10Mb of RAM in the object heap with
a nice stable sawtooth on most systems.

VisualVM connected to Tomcat will provide you with a nice graph
demonstrating this, which you can compare to a graph from the
customers application.