Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2006/03/03 09:32:23 UTC

Include Cocoon using svn:externals?

Hi Lenya devs,

to spare our users and us configuring the location of Cocoon, we
could check it out automatically inside our source tree using
svn:externals (like BXE, Kupu, etc.).

If anyone wants to use a different Cocoon, the option in
local.build.properties can still be set to a custom location.

WDYT?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: Include Cocoon using svn:externals?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>El sáb, 04-03-2006 a las 00:17 +0100, Michael Wechner escribió:
>

>>Michael Wechner wrote:

>>>ok, I will add it right know within src/cocoon_2_1_x
>>>

>>I just realize that this is not such a good idea, because if one
>>does svn st or svn up one gets all the externals listed of Cocoon and
>>can easily miss something within the src dir of Lenya.
>>Also I think one should see clearly what is external, etc., so will
>>move it into
>>
>>externals/cocoon_2_1_x
>>

>why not vendors/cocoon_2_1_x?

because I wouldn't consider it a vendor branch

it's too late now, I have already added it to externals ;-)

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Include Cocoon using svn:externals?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El sáb, 04-03-2006 a las 00:17 +0100, Michael Wechner escribió:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >> Actually we already agreed because we want to develope trunk with head
> >> of cocoon-2.1.x.
> >>

> > ok, I will add it right know within src/cocoon_2_1_x
>

> I just realize that this is not such a good idea, because if one
> does svn st or svn up one gets all the externals listed of Cocoon and
> can easily miss something within the src dir of Lenya.
> Also I think one should see clearly what is external, etc., so will
> move it into
>
> externals/cocoon_2_1_x

why not vendors/cocoon_2_1_x?

> maybe we could also move bxe and kupu in there.

vendors/bxe
vendors/kupu

> WDYT?

+1

all external vendors should go to the vendors dir. ;)

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Include Cocoon using svn:externals?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Include Cocoon using svn:externals?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Include Cocoon using svn:externals?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 03-03-2006 a las 14:14 +0100, Michael Wechner escribió:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
> > Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >>

> >> We would need something like symbolic links in the SVN repository, so
> >> that the same version is checked out for Lenya and Cocoon ...
> >> I'll try to find out if this problem can be solved.
> >

> > It seems that we have to use explicit revision numbers.
> > Maybe we should add an Ant target to update the externals
> > declaration to make it easier to "update" to a new Cocoon
> > revision.
>

> Although I understand the concerns of Josias, I think for the moment we
> should
> just to svn:external which is better than the current situation ;-)

Actually we already agreed because we want to develope trunk with head
of cocoon-2.1.x.

>  From this we can always go one step further ...

As soon we want to release we need to use a fixed rev (or official
release).

> WDYT?

+1

salu2

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> It's true that because Lenya and Cocoon are in the same repository, you
>>> could say that the LCR should be equal. But you would have to get the
>>> right revision manually.
>>

>> We would need something like symbolic links in the SVN repository, so
>> that the same version is checked out for Lenya and Cocoon ...
>> I'll try to find out if this problem can be solved.
>

> It seems that we have to use explicit revision numbers.
> Maybe we should add an Ant target to update the externals
> declaration to make it easier to "update" to a new Cocoon
> revision.

Although I understand the concerns of Josias, I think for the moment we
should
just to svn:external which is better than the current situation ;-)

 From this we can always go one step further ...

WDYT?

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Include Cocoon using svn:externals?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

[...]

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Josias Thöny wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 10:43 +0100, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Josias Thöny wrote:

>>> Good idea.
>>> The svn:external probably should point to a specific LCR of Cocoon,
>>> right?
>>> This would make it possible to say which LCR of Lenya corresponds to
>>> which LCR of Cocoon.
>> I think we should just reference the head.
>> The revision numbers are global (ASF-wide), so the LCR of a corresponding
>> Cocoon and Lenya would be identical. Or did you mean something else?
>
> The problem of unversioned externals is that when you check out an old
> revision of a project, you still get the newest revision of the
> externals, and maybe it won't work together.
> Say we check in Cocoon as an unversioned external now. If you want to
> check out todays Lenya revision one year later, you would still get the
> Cocoon of next year, and not todays revision.

OK, now I see.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El vie, 03-03-2006 a las 11:39 +0100, Josias Thöny escribió:
> On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 10:43 +0100, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> > Josias Thöny wrote:

> > > Good idea.
> > > The svn:external probably should point to a specific LCR of Cocoon,
> > > right?
> > > This would make it possible to say which LCR of Lenya corresponds to
> > > which LCR of Cocoon.
> >
> > I think we should just reference the head.
> > The revision numbers are global (ASF-wide), so the LCR of a corresponding
> > Cocoon and Lenya would be identical. Or did you mean something else?
>
> The problem of unversioned externals is that when you check out an old
> revision of a project, you still get the newest revision of the
> externals, and maybe it won't work together.
> Say we check in Cocoon as an unversioned external now. If you want to
> check out todays Lenya revision one year later, you would still get the
> Cocoon of next year, and not todays revision.
>
> It's true that because Lenya and Cocoon are in the same repository, you
> could say that the LCR should be equal. But you would have to get the
> right revision manually.
>
> For externals of a different repository (like Kupu and BXE) it is not
> possible to figure out the right revision.
>
> Or did I miss something?

Yeah, I understand your concerns, that could be solved via a vendor
branch for lenya. This way we can control the cocoon version, the
biggest downside is that we need to sync it with cocoon trunk manually.

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: Include Cocoon using svn:externals?

Posted by Josias Thöny <jo...@wyona.com>.
On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 10:43 +0100, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Josias Thöny wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 09:32 +0100, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> >> Hi Lenya devs,
> >>
> >> to spare our users and us configuring the location of Cocoon, we
> >> could check it out automatically inside our source tree using
> >> svn:externals (like BXE, Kupu, etc.).
> >>
> >> If anyone wants to use a different Cocoon, the option in
> >> local.build.properties can still be set to a custom location.
> >>
> >> WDYT?
> >
> > Good idea.
> > The svn:external probably should point to a specific LCR of Cocoon,
> > right?
> > This would make it possible to say which LCR of Lenya corresponds to
> > which LCR of Cocoon.
>
> I think we should just reference the head.
> The revision numbers are global (ASF-wide), so the LCR of a corresponding
> Cocoon and Lenya would be identical. Or did you mean something else?

The problem of unversioned externals is that when you check out an old
revision of a project, you still get the newest revision of the
externals, and maybe it won't work together.
Say we check in Cocoon as an unversioned external now. If you want to
check out todays Lenya revision one year later, you would still get the
Cocoon of next year, and not todays revision.

It's true that because Lenya and Cocoon are in the same repository, you
could say that the LCR should be equal. But you would have to get the
right revision manually.

For externals of a different repository (like Kupu and BXE) it is not
possible to figure out the right revision.

Or did I miss something?

Josias

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josias Thöny <jo...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> to spare our users and us configuring the location of Cocoon, we
> could check it out automatically inside our source tree using
> svn:externals (like BXE, Kupu, etc.).
>
> If anyone wants to use a different Cocoon, the option in
> local.build.properties can still be set to a custom location.
>
> WDYT?

+1000 (one "dependency" less where people might get stuck ;-)

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Include Cocoon using svn:externals?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Oliver Schalch wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:32:23 +0100
> Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>
>> to spare our users and us configuring the location of Cocoon, we
>> could check it out automatically inside our source tree using
>> svn:externals (like BXE, Kupu, etc.).
>>
>> If anyone wants to use a different Cocoon, the option in
>> local.build.properties can still be set to a custom location.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> +1, if we look throught that mailinglist much is the cocoon version
> which confusing other people.

Yes, that's a very good point.

How about the location? I guess this is quite straigtforward:

   /src/cocoon

-- Andreas

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com>.
El vie, 03-03-2006 a las 09:44 +0100, Oliver Schalch escribió:
> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:32:23 +0100
> Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Lenya devs,
> >
> > to spare our users and us configuring the location of Cocoon, we
> > could check it out automatically inside our source tree using
> > svn:externals (like BXE, Kupu, etc.).
> >
> > If anyone wants to use a different Cocoon, the option in
> > local.build.properties can still be set to a custom location.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> +1, if we look throught that mailinglist much is the cocoon version
> which confusing other people. And if the possibility is still here to
> configure via l.b.p a own cocoon version there I see nothing against
> that idea.
>
> Thanks,
> Oliver

Thanks Oli for pointing this clearly out, you are dead-on.

Thanks Andreas for bringing it up.

+1

salu2
--