Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca> on 2000/10/25 00:43:40 UTC

server-wide.html

Attached is a first draft of a page which documents some of the
server-wide configuration parameters from core.html.  This is a
replacement for my proposal of sorting the core.html directive index by
"type", and also is another in what will hopefully be a large series of
"task-specific" docs.

These docs are really not designed for the "newbie", since they
are very short and assume some pre-existing knowledge.  However,
they do give people a fighting chance at figuring out some
of the features of Apache without trying to read the module docs from top
to bottom.

Suggestions/comments/etc are VERY appreciated.

--
Joshua Slive
slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca

Re: server-wide.html

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Rich Bowen wrote:
> The "Server Defaults" section seems a little vague, particularly with no
> explanatory text. But, in general, I think that this will be very
> helpful, if it is kept up to date.

Yah, I didn't really know what to do with that, so I left it for
a second draft (or for suggestions).  Those are really pretty
much unrelated directives, and there is no point in explaining
each one, since the directive definitions already do that.  I suppose I
could just have one sentence explanations of each of them.

As far as keeping it up to date, that is a problem.  However, while I am
adding these docs, I am trying to remove as much of the other repetitive
docs as possible.  For example, the handler docs, the keepalive docs, and
the "listen" docs all had repeated directive definitions.  Therefore, I am
hoping that in total, I am making things easier to maintain, rather than
more difficult.

Joshua

Re: server-wide.html

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> Attached is a first draft of a page which documents some of the
> server-wide configuration parameters from core.html.  This is a
> replacement for my proposal of sorting the core.html directive index by
> "type", and also is another in what will hopefully be a large series of
> "task-specific" docs.
>
> These docs are really not designed for the "newbie", since they
> are very short and assume some pre-existing knowledge.  However,
> they do give people a fighting chance at figuring out some
> of the features of Apache without trying to read the module docs from top
> to bottom.
>
> Suggestions/comments/etc are VERY appreciated.

The "Server Defaults" section seems a little vague, particularly with no
explanatory text. But, in general, I think that this will be very
helpful, if it is kept up to date.

Rich
Author: Apache Server Unleashed - www.apacheunleashed.com
Come See Me At ApacheCon! - www.apachecon.com