Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jason Repik <jj...@hyperion.plk.af.mil> on 1997/04/03 00:30:01 UTC

mod_access/305: incorrect hostname lookup for allow/deny directives

>Number:         305
>Category:       mod_access
>Synopsis:       incorrect hostname lookup for allow/deny directives
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have setup our top level webdocs to accessible to the world.
In attempting to give per directory access to subdirectorys
to my subdomain with the allow/deny directives it would not work.
Here is the basic model I use:

<Directory /hyp1/web_docs/plasma>
<Limit GET>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from hyperion
</Limit>
</Directory>

When the allow directive was changed to .plk.af.mil I could
not access that directory from anywhere.  When it was changed
to .cs.unm.edu, I could access it from machines in the .cs.unm.edu
subdomain and nowhere else.  When I changed it to a specific
name of a machine in my subdomain, I could access it from that
machine.  This leads me to believe  that since the machine the
server is running on is hyperion.plk.af.mil that when it does
a hostname lookup it is only returning the short name of
hyperion therefore not showing the .plk.af.mil subdomain part
of the name and therefore not allowing access.

Re: mod_access/305: incorrect hostname lookup for allow/deny directives

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
What does your log show for the accesses from the local machine?

Are you saying the below example _does_ work or it _doesn't_ work?  How
the hostnames are resolved (ie. fully qualified or not) is a function of
your OS and how it is configured.