Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com> on 2012/07/16 00:32:56 UTC

Community Track at ApacheCon Europe?

Hi All

I'm currently in the process of putting the proposed tracks for ApacheCon
Europe into the website, and I noticed we don't currently have a community
track proposed. I've really enjoyed past community tracks, and learnt a
lot from them, so I think it'd be great if we could do one again.

Is anyone able to volunteer to act as a track chair for the community
track, so we can add it to the list? There's info on the apachecon-discuss
list about what this role entails, but it isn't too much work. Any takers?

Thanks
Nick

Re: Community Track at ApacheCon Europe?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Nick,

Sorry that is a massive oversight on my part. You can certainly put me
down as chair and I note that Nor is showing interest so I will be
enlisting him to help or even be encouraging him to be chair (Nor I'd
prefer it if you were chair and I were co-chair).

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: Community Track at ApacheCon Europe?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 18 July 2012 06:36, Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com> wrote:
> On 18/07/12 07:13, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 17, 2012 8:53 PM, "Ross Gardler" <rg...@opendirective.com>
>> wrote:

>> track

>>> Main duty is to coordinate (or perform) session selection for the
>>> track. I'd love it if you were chair, I am very happy to help as
>>> co-chair. If you prefer we can switch the roles the other way around,
>>> but but that's your call (see my replyt to Nick).
>>
>> OK I will list my self as the chair :-)
>>
>> can I do the form filling or listing the details when I get back from work
>> ? Or u need it ASAP ?
>

> Great, glad to have you two on board :)
>
> We'll need someone to fill in the details of the track in the spreadsheet.
> I've added the track to the CFP dropdown, but we'll need a description for
> it on the website on the tracks page. Nour - you should have edit karma for
> the ACAEU website, so please go ahead and add in the track description once
> you've added it in the spreadsheet!

Yay for Nor!!!

I'm happy to help in any way I can but I will do so in assistance to
Nor rather than leading things myself. Nor, I'm sure you will not be
shy of asking for my help and as long as it is done in a sufficiently
public way I'm sure others will chip in too.

Ross

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Sent from my Samdung Galaxy S3
Apologies for any typos

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ross...

Sent from my Samdung Galaxy S3
Apologies for any typos
On Jul 17, 2012 8:53 PM, "Ross Gardler" <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:

> On 16 July 2012 10:19, Mohammad Nour El-Din <mn...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I am willing to help but still I still dont get the details of what
track
> > chair is expected to do ?
>
> Main duty is to coordinate (or perform) session selection for the
> track. I'd love it if you were chair, I am very happy to help as
> co-chair. If you prefer we can switch the roles the other way around,
> but but that's your call (see my replyt to Nick).

I don't mind doing either I wanna help anyway and learn at the sametime. So
allow me to make it your call. From your own experience me being the chair
and you the co-chair can we achieve that or the other way around ? :)

Actually if I am the chair u will not be the co-chair, for me u will be the
coach chair :)

Looking for reply ?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
> I am willing to help

Great, any chance that you could fill in the details on the the "Call For
Tracks" google docs form? <s.apache.org/ACEUTracks>

> but still I still dont get the details of what track chair is expected
> to do ?

Sorry, I thought you'd already seen the discussions about it go past on
the ApacheCon-Discuss mailing list. Basically, the track chair is the
liason between the community (in this case the community community!) and
the conference. It involves passing on info, helping with bits of the
content for the site, suggesting good community members for publicity,
generally helping out etc. I think you'd already volunteered for a lot of
this anyway... ;-)

Cheers

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <mn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

If we explain it as not being project specific but as elaborating on the
dynamics of OS communities in general and of Apache communities in
particular, then I understand it.

Regards,

Pierre

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I might not be that much versed in Apache terminology, but what is a
'community track'? And what are/is the definition of the other kind?

Please help me understand?