Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Wolfgang Jeltsch <zs...@acme.softbase.org> on 2010/02/27 17:51:46 UTC

problems with table creation

Hello,

I have some serious problems with getting tables inserted into XHTML
documents. I use Lenya 2.0.3 on Debian lenny with the Jetty packages from
Debian squeeze. The platform is amd64. Here are some steps to reproduce the
problems and the effects I experience:

    1. create a new XHTML document in standard layout (not two-column)

    2. open the document in BXE
        ⇒ A message window with the text “Removed 1 unsupported group nodes”
        pops up.

    3. delete the two paragraphs (p elements)

    4. save the document

    5. exit BXE

    6. reopen the document in BXE
        ⇒ The message window about unsupported group nodes pops up again.

    7. place the cursor at the end of the headline

    8. create a new table by clicking on the icon in the toolbar above

    9. enter a single character in each table field

    10. try to save the document
        ⇒ An orange window with the headline “Validation Alert” pops up. Its
        contents are:

            tr(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml) is not allowed at this position
            as child of table
            tr is not allowed to have children
            tr(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml) is not allowed at this position
            as child of table

    11. press OK

    12. exit BXE

    13. open the document in Kupu

    14. place the cursor at the end of the headline

    15. enter 2 in the “rows” and “columns” fields on the right

    16. press “Add Table”
        ⇒ Each field in the newly created table contains a single space
        character or such.

    17. replace these spaces by a single character each

    18. save the document
        ⇒ The contents of the table are now shown in the same style as the
        headline (probably because the table was created inside the header).
        There are no table borders anymore.
        ⇒ The resulting XHTML file (in lenya/pubs/$PUBNAME/content/authoring)
        looks weird:

            • It contains a reference to a style sheet (with a relative URI).

            • It contains two Content-Type specifications.

            • It contains a <br /> after the content of each cell except the
            upper-left.

        The complete XHTML file is attached.

    19. exit Kupu

    20. open the document in BXE
        ⇒ The message window about the removed group nodes pops up.

        ⇒ The  “Validation Alert” window pops up—with the same contents as
        before.

Can anyone tell me how to create clean XHTML documents with tables? I’d prefer
to use BXE, by the way.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

Re: problems with table creation

Posted by Thomas Comiotto <th...@id.uzh.ch>.
> Don't use BXE or Kupu. Both of them work really badly IMO. As far as
> I know, they're the default WYSIWYG editors only because the ones
> that do work well (TinyMCE and FCKEditor?) aren't compatible with
> the license Lenya uses, which means you have to download and install
> them yourself.
>
> I use TinyMCE, and that works, on the whole, pretty well. Not
> perfectly, I had to tweak a couple of the config files, and some
> browsers have a few quirks, but on the whole it's OK, and stuff like
> adding tables is certainly easy.
>
> Installation instructions for TinyMCE are here: [ http://lenya.apache.org/docu20/standardmodules/tinymcemodulesection/tinymcemoduleoverview.html
>  ].

Check Firedocs.
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/HowToInstallFiredocs

Ciao
Thomas

Re: problems with table creation

Posted by ps...@gmail.com.
Don't use BXE or Kupu. Both of them work really badly IMO. As far as I
know, they're the default WYSIWYG editors only because the ones that do
work well (TinyMCE and FCKEditor?) aren't compatible with the license Lenya
uses, which means you have to download and install them yourself.

I use TinyMCE, and that works, on the whole, pretty well. Not perfectly, I
had to tweak a couple of the config files, and some browsers have a few
quirks, but on the whole it's OK, and stuff like adding tables is certainly
easy.

Installation instructions for TinyMCE are here: [
http://lenya.apache.org/docu20/standardmodules/tinymcemodulesection/tinymcemoduleoverview.html
].

/Petteri