Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Daniel Shane <sh...@irosoft.com> on 2002/07/02 15:40:58 UTC

Xerces: Incremental parsing, can it be done?

Hi,

I would like to know if Xerces can act as an incremental parser. Here is
what I would like to do. I would like to be able to build an XML document
(dynamically) and parse it at the same time, a fragment at a time. For
example, I might start by sending 10K of data to the parser (which, in my
case, will not be a complete XML document yet but the start of the
document) then ask the parser if there are any markup errors up to date. If
no errors are found I will continue outputing XML data until the document
is complete. The key would be to be able to correct errors "live" as they
are detected by the parser (I am not sure exactly how this will work up...
yet). Another interresting idea would be to use the knowleged that Xerces
has of the document and the DTD (or schema) at its current stage to better
build the next fragment XML fragment.

I assume that Xerces cannot do this defacto, but would be happy to code
this up, even if it's only going to be for my personnal use (I dont know if
this is a good feature to have for the general Xerces release).

However, before I start spending quite some time in the source code, maybe
some of the veterans could quickly give me a nod on whether or not it would
be possible to implement this in the current design of Xerces 2?

Thanks in advance!
Daniel Shane