Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sanket Pattekar <sa...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/07 14:20:54 UTC

Custom class that runs when cocoon starts up

Hi

Is it possible to have a custom class that runs when cocoon starts up.
Using this class I need to run call a pipeline at startup.

This feature I need is similar to that of overriding the init() method
of any servlet.

Sanket

Re: Custom class that runs when cocoon starts up

Posted by Sanket Pattekar <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all your replies...'

Based on the replies, I think that cron job is the best available
solution, as I need to execute a pipeline, so I can use
CocoonPipelineCronJob.

However I would like to know how to write a cron job that is executed
only once and periodically. Having followed the documentation I noted
that the cron is periodic, but I need to execute a pipeline only once
after startup.

Thanks
Sanket

Posted by David Perez <cr...@yahoo.es>.

AW: Custom class that runs when cocoon starts up

Posted by Christofer Dutz <du...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Sanket

Well whenever I need a Cocoon service, I write an Avalon component, that
implements the Startable interface. If you configure this in the
cocoon.xconf it will be automatically started when cocoon starts.

Here some code snippets:

The implementation class:
public class XmlDbServerImpl extends AbstractLogEnabled implements
XmlDbServer, Configurable, ThreadSafe, Startable, LogEnabled {

	... implement everything eclipse tells you to ...

	public void start() {
		... code to be executed on start-up ...
	}

	public void stop() {
		... code to be executed on shut-down ...
	}
}

The interface class:
public interface XmlDbServer {
	String ROLE="de.cware.cweb.system.xmldb.server";
}

Cocoon.xconf:
<component role="de.cware.cweb.system.xmldb.server"
class="de.cware.cweb.system.xmldb.XmlDbServerImpl" home="C:/home/domains"
suffix="data/xmldb" minBrokers="1" maxBrokers="5"/>

Well don't really know if you actually need the interface class ...

Hope this helps :)

Chris