Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Alex Fernández <af...@tid.es> on 2001/02/21 11:26:22 UTC

Re: Q: is there a Streaming-Server (RTSP,RTP) as a sibbling project t o Apache and Tomcat?

Hi!

Paul Furbacher wrote:

> "thomas.nagel@materna.de" <th...@materna.de>
> wrote:
>
> > is there a Streaming-Server (RTSP,RTP) as a sibbling project
> > to Apache and Tomcat? If not, it could be a good idea ;)
>
> To which a number of folks responded with the general
> sentiment (quoted from Jon Steven's message):
>
> > If you have a project with a community and a nice code base, we
> > might be interested in hosting it here.
> >
> > Jakarta != Sourceforge
>
> Am I missing something here?  I think it would be a very bad idea.
> It would attempt to duplicate a huge body of existing open source
> code:
>
>   http://www.opensource.apple.com//projects/streaming/

There's open source, and then there's open source. AFAIK, Apple's code is
theirs -- and any modification that you attempt is essentially theirs.

> As I see it, there is absolutely no need to duplicate this
> effort.

Oh, it wouldn't be duplicating -- perhaps people might want to use non-QT
formats like MPEG-4 (funny Apple won't implement it, since the file
system is based on QT), or any other format not yet supported by Apple.
Perhaps Darwin will stream them OK, perhaps not; anyway, it's nice to
have choices.

>  And I seem to remember that Jon recently exhorted
> everyone to pull back from the projet-du-jour thinking that
> just because someone "had an idea" there ought to be
> a project.  His argument went something like "work with them"
> (JUnit in that case; Apple in this case).

I think you misunderstood his words. Paraphrasing them: if you already
have a project, *and* a community, Jakarta might host it. It's not about
creating a new project.

Un saludo,

Alex.