Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org> on 2004/07/09 08:24:25 UTC

Increasing Linux kernel open file limits.

Don't know if anyone knew this:

http://www.hp-eloquence.com/sdb/html/linux_limits.html

> The kernel allocates filehandles dynamically up to a limit specified
> by file-max.
>
> The value in file-max denotes the maximum number of file- handles that
> the Linux kernel will allocate. When you get lots of error messages
> about running out of file handles, you might want to increase this limit.
>
> The three values in file-nr denote the number of allocated file
> handles, the number of used file handles and the maximum number of
> file handles. When the allocated filehandles come close to the
> maximum, but the number of actually used ones is far behind, you've
> encountered a peak in your filehandle usage and you don't need to
> increase the maximum.

So while root you can allocate as many file handles without any limits
enforced by glibc you still have to fight against the kernel

Just doing a echo 1000000 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max works fine.

Then I can keep track of my file limit by doing a

cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

At least this works on 2.6.x...

Think this is going to save me a lot of headache!

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.

    http://peerfear.org/pubkey.asc