Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Pritesh_Shah <Pr...@Satyam.com> on 2005/03/14 12:36:10 UTC

How can i achieve performance improvement in SVG ?

Hi,

I am currently working with SVG in my J2EE based application. At this
juncture, I would like to know if you could help me in resolving some of
the issues faced by me. I found your contact information in the svg
mailing lists on Batik's homepage.

Issues : The major goal is to improve performance.

1.	I want to dynamically load svg data as and when required (say on
pan/zoom level) so that I can improve the performance of my application.
I am working with svg maps. So its like, I initially get minimum
information displayed and then the rest of information can be got by
making a server trip or something similar. I did not get any related
thing in batik's source or its implementation.
2.	Can you please elaborate on the concept of tilling if you are
aware of it and how can it be implemented?

Or you can suggest any other method for performance enhancement. Hoping
for an early reply,

Thanks,

Pritesh.

Re: How can i achieve performance improvement in SVG ?

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Pritesh,

Pritesh_Shah wrote:

> Issues : The major goal is to improve performance.
>
>    1. I want to dynamically load svg data as and when required (say on
>       pan/zoom level) so that I can improve the performance of my
>       application. I am working with svg maps. So its like, I initially
>       get minimum information displayed and then the rest of information
>       can be got by making a server trip or something similar. I did not
>       get any related thing in batik’s source or its implementation.

    I would suggest you look at the multiImage element from
SVG 1.2.  Batik provides an implementation when a document
claims to be version 1.2.  You can see some examples in the
CVS version of Batik under samples/tests/spec12/structure

>    2. Can you please elaborate on the concept of tilling if you are
>       aware of it and how can it be implemented?

    The multiImage element can be used to load resolution
dependant data as well as to support the building of a
'quad tree' for tiling purposes.

    As far as how to implement tiling the concept is simple
split your data into fixed size rectangular (usually square)
blocks that together cover the plane (like tile in a bathroom).

    If you use the multiImage element and build a quad-tree
(search the net if you don't know what this is) then it should
only load the data that is used to support the branches of the
quad-tree needed for display.

    One issues is that of anti-alias 'drop outs' between
tiles.  This can be resolved by 'overlapping the tile data
a little, or using 'crisp edges'.