Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Andy Lewis <An...@NSMG.VERITAS.com> on 2000/05/03 16:00:57 UTC

A request for opinions...

I have been using Cocoon 1.x  for quite a while now, and am thrilled with it
(I've also been lurking on this list for a long time)  I was wondering
however if anyone here has really looked at Enhydra and can tell in what the
real differences are. I admit to preferring Cocoon (+Tomcat) from what I've
seen so far, and I fully expect an appropriately biased response :-). If
anyone has already looked and can save me some evaluation time, it would be
much appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy Lewis
Voice:  407-531-7584  -  Fax:  407-531-7686  -  Cell:  407-718-4718
Pager:  4077184718@mobile.att.net  -  EMail:  andy.lewis@veritas.com

Re: A request for opinions...

Posted by "David H. Young" <da...@lutris.com>.
Hi Andy,
Enhydra XMLC is very much in the same space as Cocoon,
separating presentation from business logic.  But I've heard
it described as orthogonal in its goal/design to Cocoon.
It just takes a different tact.   What it does is use CSS IDs to
identify areas of dynamic content, compile up the page and
generate a DOM tree with accessor Java methods for altering
the area of dynamic content.

For example,
<UL>
<LI ID=Customer>John Doe</LI>

would be compiled by Enhydra XMLC into a Java DOM
class and would automatically generate a Java method
called something like htmlDocument.SetTextCustomer()
that would be used by the programmer to manipulate the
content.

There are a number of advantages to this approach.
#1 - unlike JSP, no Java code _or_ custom Tags are inserted
in the HTML, WML or XML page.
#2 - you can leave mocked up data, like "John Doe" above,
in the page.  With JSP, you have to always have two parallel
files (one with Java code, the other with the mocked up data).
#3 - your HTML designers can manipulate the arrangement of
the page without interacting with the Java programmer. (Enhydra
detects any changes and auto-compiles if there are any).

Those are the highlights.  It's just a different approach than
Cocoon.  I've seen on the enhydra mailing list that there are also people
who are integrating the use of Cocoon with Enhydra.  It's particularly
easy since Enhydra has also integrated Tomcat support.

David

--
David H. Young, Chief Evangelist
Lutris Technologies, Inc.

Re: A request for opinions...

Posted by Paul Russell <Pa...@uea.ac.uk>.
Heh. This old chesnut ;)

Basically, cocoon isn't an application server (although it'll be
part of one Real Soon Now if ExOffice have their way, or I get
so bored I beat them to it ;).

Cocoon is a tool for separating information from presentation,
basically, and it's a very powerful tool at that.

Enhydra is an application server, it does some of the things
cocoon does, as it happens, but they're not really competing
products as far as I'm concerned.

Paul