Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/27 18:23:07 UTC

reduced cached mem; resident set size growth

We have a 6 node Cassandra 0.6.8 cluster running on boxes with 4 GB of
RAM.  Over the course of several weeks cached memory slowly decreases
until Cassandra is restarted or something bad happens (ie oom killer).
Performance obviously suffers as cached memory is no longer available.
Here is a graph of memory over a two week period, the big jump is a
Cassandra restart:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/383/2weekmem.png

There is also tomcat and and your standard linux services running on the
box as well.   I saved the output of /proc/$CASSANDRA_PID/status ever 10
seconds from yesterday afternoon to this morning and graphed resident
set size.  While the jvm and the linux virtual memory system do all
sorts of clever things, over a period of 12+ hours I believe RSS must go
in a direction other than up or there is a problem.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1754/cassandrarss.png

swapiness is currently set to zero and a graph of swap use over a two
week period does not show any corresponding growth to the lost cached space.

We are using <DiskAccessMode>standard</DiskAccessMode> and no JNA
interfaces.  I think this makes Cassandra a totally normal java program
living in heap, so I am confused how this growth could be happening.
Similar experiences or explanations would be most welcome.  I can
provide further information if necessary.

##### Info dump
uname: 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 23 10:52:51 EDT 2010 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

cmd line arg (paths edited):
/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_20/bin/java -Xms1500M -cXmx1500M -ea -XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled
-XX:SurvivorRatio=8 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=1
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:+UseThreadPriorities
-XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=42 -Dcassandra.compaction.priority=1
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=10101
-Dstorage-config=~/conf -Dcassandra-pidfile=~/cassandra.pid -cp
~/conf::~/lib/antlr-3.1.3.jar:~/lib/apache-cassandra-0.6.8.jar:~/lib/clhm-production.jar:~/lib/commons-cli-1.1.jar:~/lib/commons-codec-1.2.jar:~/lib/commons-collections-3.2.1.jar:~/lib/commons-lang-2.4.jar:~/lib/google-collections-1.0.jar:~/lib/hadoop-core-0.20.1.jar:~/lib/high-scale-lib.jar:~/lib/ivy-2.1.0.jar:~/lib/jackson-core-asl-1.4.0.jar:~/lib/jackson-mapper-asl-1.4.0.jar:~/lib/jline-0.9.94.jar:~/lib/json-simple-1.1.jar:~/lib/libthrift-r917130.jar:~/lib/log4j-1.2.14.jar:~/lib/slf4j-api-1.5.8.jar:~/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.5.8.jar:~/lib/zapcass-1.0.0.jar:~/lib/zapcat-1.3-beta.jar
com.clearspring.cassandra.ZapCassDaemon

ZapCassDaemon is just getting cassandra and zabbix to talk.  I do not
believe we are unique in doing this:
public class ZapCassDaemon {
    public EmbeddedCassandraService cassandra;
    public ZabbixAgent agent;
    public ZapCassDaemon() throws Exception {
        agent = new ZabbixAgent();

        cassandra = new EmbeddedCassandraService();
        cassandra.init();
        cassandra.run();
    }
    static public ZapCassDaemon instance;
    static public void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
        instance = new ZapCassDaemon();
    }
}

Re: reduced cached mem; resident set size growth

Posted by Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>.
The test was inconclusive because we decomissioned that cluster before
it'd be running long enough to exhibit the problem.

-ryan

Posted by Zhu Han <sc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Zhu Han <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:49 AM, Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 6:22 AM, Chris Burroughs
>> <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> the
>> >

>> > RSS over 48 hours with java 6 update 23:
>> >
>> > http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5202/u2348hours.png
>> >
>> > I'll continue monitoring but RSS still appears to grow without bounds.
>> > Zhu reported a similar problem with Ubuntu 10.04.  While possible, it
>> > would seem seam extraordinary unlikely that there is a glibc or kernel
>> > bug affecting us both.
>>
>> We're seeing a similar problem with one of our clusters (but over a
>> longer time scale).

Does it mean not all your clusters running cassandra observed the same RSS
growth problem?

Posted by Zhu Han <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>.
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Chris Burroughs
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 12:49 PM, Ryan King wrote:
>> We're seeing a similar problem with one of our clusters (but over a
>> longer time scale). Its possible that its not a leak, but just
>> fragmentation. Unless you've told it otherwise, the jvm uses glibc's
>> malloc implementation for off-heap allocations. We're currently
>> running a test with jemalloc on one node to see if the problem goes
>> away.
>>

> Thanks Ryan.
>
> Is it over a longer time scale because of some action taken to mitigate
> the problem, or has it always been that long for you?

My guess is that its a longer timeframe because the cluster is really
low traffic (around 100qps across 10 nodes).

-ryan

Re: reduced cached mem; resident set size growth

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan King <ry...@twitter.com>.

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhu Han <sc...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Somebody else and I have the same problem as you, and reported it here:
http://www.apacheserver.net/Very-high-memory-utilization-not-caused-by-mmap-on-sstables-at1082970.htm

[NB: It is not solved although the titles said so. Some response from me in
the thread is not accurate.]

IMHO, you should try to upgrade JVM as the first step. If it is solved,
please let us know.

If upgrade of JVM does not work, considering the leak happens on C stack of
JVM,  I suspect it is caused by kernel or glibc, although other java process
on the same box are OK.  But i haven't tries it  as I do not have control of
the kernel version in the VPS environment.

best regards,
hanzhu

Posted by Zhu Han <sc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Oleg Anastasyev <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1754/cassandrarss.png
> >
> This looks like cassandra leaking memory inside java heap.
> I remember, there was some leaking issues with java versions <1.6.u21,
> correct
> me if I wrong. Try to upgrade to more recent JVM on some node.

Do you have more information os this issue?

 I meets the same problem even on the latest release of OpenJD, ubuntu
10.04.

Re: reduced cached mem; resident set size growth

Posted by Oleg Anastasyev <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 01/28/2011 10:51 AM, sridhar basam wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Chris Burroughs <chris.burroughs@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> java -version
>> java version "1.6.0_20"
>> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)
>>
>> cmd line arg (paths edited):
>> /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_20/bin/java -Xms1500M -cXmx1500M -ea -XX:+UseParNewGC
>>

> Is the above optiont for setting the max heap size a typo "-cXmx1500M"?
>
>  sridhar

Typo in my email.  But the command is correct on the server.

/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_20/bin/java -Xms1500M -Xmx1500M -ea -XX:+UseParNewGC

Posted by sridhar basam <sr...@basam.org>.

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 01/28/2011 12:42 PM, sridhar basam wrote:
> What about your permgen usage? Do you track that? Use something like "jstat
> -gc -t <pid> 5s 1000000" to track it. Or turn up verbose GC on your command
> line options to what is happening.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1056/permgen.png

This is over about 5 hours using the saved outcome of the command you
sugested.  It appears to be collected properly to me.

Re: reduced cached mem; resident set size growth

Posted by sridhar basam <sr...@basam.org>.
What about your permgen usage? Do you track that? Use something like "jstat
-gc -t <pid> 5s 1000000" to track it. Or turn up verbose GC on your command
line options to what is happening.

 Sridhar

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Chris Burroughs <chris.burroughs@gmail.com

Posted by Chris Burroughs <ch...@gmail.com>.