Posted to olio-dev@incubator.apache.org by Shanti Subramanyam <Sh...@Sun.COM> on 2009/04/09 02:59:34 UTC

[VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Sorry it took so long. I had a lot of licenses to sort through and
cleanup. I believe I finally have resolved everything. The artificats
are available at http://people.apache.org/~shanti/olio_0.1/
The rat outputs are available in the same directory and called
'php-rat.out' and 'rails-rat.out'.

Please take a look and vote your approval ASAP but no later than 4/10.
If you find any issues, I will re-spin.

Shanti

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Amanda waite <Am...@Sun.COM>.
I'm no expert on the licensing or on rats, but I've used the bits and
found them to be good so

+1

Amanda Waite - Sun

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Akara Sucharitakul <Ak...@Sun.COM>.
We should automate the validation process so that Craig (or anybody else
for that matter) won't have to do all these checks. How about expanding
the dist/build.xml to add a validate task and report on any
irregularities? This will ensure the release abides by Apache policies
and makes live much easer to vote.

+1

-Akara

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Shanti Subramanyam - PAE <Sh...@Sun.COM>.
Mentors; Can you please take a look and vote ?

Thanks
Shanti

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Shanti Subramanyam - PAE <Sh...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks Craig.

+1 from me as well.

Shanti

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:05 AM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> Can anyone else please take a look at the Olio podling release?

+1 (after consulting thread below)

a little feedback to pass on:

OlioDriver.jar does not contain LICENSE and NOTICE. it should not be
distributed indepedently (for example, through the maven repository).
when distributing independently is also best to include full vendor
details in the MANIFEST

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Can anyone else please take a look at the Olio podling release?

Thanks,

Craig

On Apr 14, 2009, at 11:03 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Ok.
>
> I'll vote +1 for this release. These then fall into the category of
> licenses that aren't explicit in the distribution although they are
> clearly licensed with the category A MIT license.
>
> Craig
>
> On Apr 14, 2009, at 8:34 PM, Shanti Subramanyam wrote:
>
>> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>> I've checked all the signatures and a couple of md5s and they're ok.
>>>
>>> PHP:
>>>
>>> Looks good.
>>>
>>> RAILS:
>>>
>>> I think the treatment of acts_as_network, calendar_helper, rspec-
>>> rail, rails_rcov, rspec are fine.
>>>
>>> The actual licenses for fixture_replacement2, country_select are
>>> buried in their README. I won't hold up the release for this, but
>>> in future, the license should be extracted and placed in its own
>>> LICENSE file in the subdirectory.
>>>
>>> Just one issue: I couldn't find the *actual* LICENSE for
>>> attachment_fu, white_list. Can you tell me where they are?
>>>
>> attachment_fu and white_list (among many others) are written by
>> Rick Olsen and his license is located at http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/LICENSE
>> .
>>
>>> Craig
>>>
>> Shanti

>>> Craig L Russell
>>> Architect, Sun Java Enterprise System http://db.apache.org/jdo
>>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!
>>>

> Craig L Russell
> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Craig L Russell

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Ok.

I'll vote +1 for this release. These then fall into the category of
licenses that aren't explicit in the distribution although they are
clearly licensed with the category A MIT license.

Craig

On Apr 14, 2009, at 8:34 PM, Shanti Subramanyam wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> I've checked all the signatures and a couple of md5s and they're ok.
>>
>> PHP:
>>
>> Looks good.
>>
>> RAILS:
>>
>> I think the treatment of acts_as_network, calendar_helper, rspec-
>> rail, rails_rcov, rspec are fine.
>>
>> The actual licenses for fixture_replacement2, country_select are
>> buried in their README. I won't hold up the release for this, but
>> in future, the license should be extracted and placed in its own
>> LICENSE file in the subdirectory.
>>
>> Just one issue: I couldn't find the *actual* LICENSE for
>> attachment_fu, white_list. Can you tell me where they are?
>>
> attachment_fu and white_list (among many others) are written by Rick
> Olsen and his license is located at http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/LICENSE
> .
>
>> Craig
>>
> Shanti
>>
>> On Apr 10, 2009, at 12:36 PM, Shanti Subramanyam wrote:
>>
>>> Okay. I've re-spun the release. I fixed the following :
>>> a) Added NOTICE and LICENSE files to the source packages
>>> b) Generated rat outputs for the binary packages and renamed all
>>> the rat outputs consistenly
>>> c) Fixed the rails NOTICE and LICENSE files to include the missing
>>> third-party plugins.
>>> d) Added apache license headers to the Release Notes, and the
>>> rails plugin 'rorclassify'.
>>>
>>> Please review and VOTE.
>>>
>>> Shanti

>> Craig L Russell
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Craig L Russell

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Richard McDougall <rm...@vmware.com>.
+1 from VMware

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Shanti Subramanyam <Sh...@Sun.COM>.

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
> [...]

>>> acts_as_network/test/test_helper.rb
>>> apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
>>> acts_as_taggable/lib/acts_as_taggable.rb
>>> apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
>>> acts_as_taggable/lib/tag.rb
>>> apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
>>> attachment_fu/lib/geometry.rb
>>> apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
>>> attachment_fu/lib/technoweenie/attachment_fu.rb
>>> ... many more .rb files. Perhaps these files are covered by an
>>> external license that I didn't see? If so, a comment in the files
>>> referencing the copyright holder and a reference to the license
>>> would be fine.
>>
>> I have mentioned acts_as_network etc. in the LICENSE and NOTICE
>> files. They are all MIT license. I have left out a couple. Will add

Craig L Russell

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Prashant Srinivasan <Pr...@Sun.COM>.
+1.
 -ps

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Sheetal Patil <Sh...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by William Sobel <ws...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Shanti Subramanyam <Sh...@Sun.COM>.

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Shanti Subramanyam <Sh...@Sun.COM>.
Craig,

Re: [VOTE] Olio 0.1 Release

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Shanti,

Much improved compared to last time. Lots of work respinning.

I verified signatures; all ok.

There are four artifacts (times tar.gz and .zip; plus sigs and sums)
so there should be four rat outputs: php, php source, rails, rails
source. There are only two rat output files. This isn't a showstopper
but just an inconvenience for reviewers.

The release notes have no license but there's not a clear requirement
for these files to have such a license. It's worth considering adding
a license if only to clean up the rat output but no issue from me.

But I found some issues that make me -1 on release:

The rat output for php and rails source doesn't show the LICENSE and
NOTICE files, and indeed, these are missing from the src distributions.

The following files don't appear to contain any copyright or license
information at all. The author(s) need to be contacted for license
information before this file can be included. Or the license covering
this file needs to be identified and added to the file.

apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
acts_as_network/lib/zetetic/acts/network.rb
apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
acts_as_network/test/network_test.rb
apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
acts_as_network/test/schema.rb
apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
acts_as_network/test/test_helper.rb
apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
acts_as_taggable/lib/acts_as_taggable.rb
apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
acts_as_taggable/lib/tag.rb
apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
attachment_fu/lib/geometry.rb
apache-olio-rails-src-0.1/webapp/rails/trunk/vendor/plugins/
attachment_fu/lib/technoweenie/attachment_fu.rb
... many more .rb files. Perhaps these files are covered by an
external license that I didn't see? If so, a comment in the files
referencing the copyright holder and a reference to the license would
be fine.
Craig
On Apr 8, 2009, at 7:59 PM, Shanti Subramanyam wrote:

> Sorry it took so long. I had a lot of licenses to sort through and
> cleanup. I believe I finally have resolved everything. The
> artificats are available at http://people.apache.org/~shanti/olio_0.1/
> The rat outputs are available in the same directory and called 'php-
> rat.out' and 'rails-rat.out'.
>
> Please take a look and vote your approval ASAP but no later than
> 4/10. If you find any issues, I will re-spin.
>
> Shanti

Craig L Russell