Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Folker Schamel <sc...@spinor.com> on 2004/03/15 04:31:01 UTC

REPORT request failed: invalid XML

Hello!

When performing a (larger) merge, I always get the following error
exactly at the same position:

svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/repository/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: The REPORT request returned invalid XML in the response: XML parse error at
  line 1: no element found (/svn/repository/!svn/vcc/default)

When performing a merge for a particular subdirectory,
I always get the following error immediately:

svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/repository/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: REPORT of '/svn/repository/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response body: co
nnection was closed by server. (http://192.168.0.1)

For the second error the apache2 error_log says:
[Mon Mar 15 05:34:17 2004] [error] [client 192.168.0.2] Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500, #0]
[Mon Mar 15 05:34:17 2004] [error] [client 192.168.0.2] A failure occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #160005]
[Mon Mar 15 05:34:17 2004] [error] [client 192.168.0.2] Invalid editor anchoring; at least one of the input paths is not a directory and there was no source entry  [500, #160005]

A recovery does not help.
Searching for these errors in the history didn't help.

Does someone have an idea?
Maybe this problem is known?

What can I do to provide more information?
(using xp-client + linux-server; unfortunately I'm no
Linux expert, so I don't know about linux debugging tools.)

The problem is, that I cannot update (important) changes
from the trunk into a branch, and I don't know a work-around.

Cheers,
Folker

Re: REPORT request failed: invalid XML

Posted by Folker Schamel <sc...@spinor.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 22:31, Folker Schamel wrote:
>
>>svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/repository/!svn/vcc/default'
>>svn: The REPORT request returned invalid XML in the response: XML parse error at
>>  line 1: no element found (/svn/repository/!svn/vcc/default)
>

> This is a mod_dav_svn bug that was fixed in 1.0.1.

Ahh, nice to know! Thanks! :-)

>>When performing a merge for a particular subdirectory,
>>I always get the following error immediately:
>>
>>svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/repository/!svn/vcc/default'
>>svn: REPORT of '/svn/repository/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response body: co
>>nnection was closed by server. (http://192.168.0.1)
>

> This looks like a server-side crash;  are you sure your errorlog doesn't
> say anything about that?

The apache2 error log says:

[Mon Mar 15 05:34:17 2004] [error] [client 192.168.0.2] Provider encountered an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500, #0]
[Mon Mar 15 05:34:17 2004] [error] [client 192.168.0.2] A failure occurred while driving the update report editor  [500, #160005]
[Mon Mar 15 05:34:17 2004] [error] [client 192.168.0.2] Invalid editor anchoring; at l

>>A recovery does not help.
>

> Why would you need to recover?  Did the repository get stuck?

Not knowing details about the implementation,
I wanted to exclude that a wired repository state
is responsible for the problems.

>>The problem is, that I cannot update (important) changes
>>from the trunk into a branch, and I don't know a work-around.
>

> You'll need to show us an exact transcript of what you're doing.

I know that this would be the best...
The problem is that it is a larger repository, about 1 GB.
The actual action simply was an classical merge
command to merge changes from trunk into a branch.

Maybe the above apache2 log message about the "update report editor"
failing with "500" and "#160005" and the "invalid anchoring"
alrady helps at least a little bit?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Folker Schamel <sc...@spinor.com>.
Folker Schamel wrote:

> Hello!
>
> When performing a (larger) merge, I always get the following error
> exactly at the same position:

Finally I've found at least a workaround:
Updating the directory removed the second error,
so that I could merge again.
This gave errors because some subdirectories and files
were merged twice, but this could be resolved manually.
Then I merged the otehr subdirectories individually.
The result is that now finally I got my merge.
Hoping that I won't have the same problem in the future.
Hm...

Cheers,
Folker