Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2007/01/24 16:32:20 UTC

Why's everybody baggin' on OFBiz lately

I just wanted to move this topic to something that would be less
related to one particular topic and more related to what appears to
be a deteriorating tone in the user community.

As everyone knows, there is a A LOT of work constantly going on
around the user & dev communities here at OFBiz - and thanks to this
we're starting to see a bunch of new, potential "power" users coming
into the fold - which is exactly what this community needs.

When I take a step back from what is going on in my regular work life
and concentrate on the mailing lists, my personal opinion is that
there is a lot of baggin' on OFBiz going on around here!  Most of the
people around here are experienced developers who have worked on a
number of different open source projects, so I guess I'm a little
surprised by where things appear to be heading.

Without going into specifics and calling individual people out on the
carpet, I would like to have everyone just think about these things:

1. All committers and experienced OFBiz developers are all working
towards the same goal - to better the project.
2. When you're not finding something that you need, it's much more
effective to ask where things are found - rather than criticize the
current set up.
3. If something you want is not available, you can either head a
group that wants to develop / document it, develop it yourself, or
get someone more experienced in OFBiz to champion your cause.
4. If you NEED something committed back into OFBiz and are on a
strict timeline, build in a small amount of funds to get a committer
to look at it.  Often times people are too busy with paying work to
look over EVERYTHING - cash can, at times change priorities for
everyone.  This is not to imply that being a committer is a paying
gig - just that if your stuff is a priority more for you than the
community, this can help.
5. It's far less stressful to try to get what you want than it is to
be right!  What I mean by this, is think about what you're saying and
how you're saying it.  It can go a long way towards getting you what
you really want.

Anyways, thanks for listening and I hope this helps people start to
structure their requests & needs in a way that motivates people to
help them.  We need everyone to come in and be productive community
members so that we can all work more efficiently - let's see what we
can do to rally around the project!

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Re: Why's everybody baggin' on OFBiz lately

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
In other words, you can curse the darkness or light a candle.

For what it's worth, I truly appreciate the developer community and the
committers. I'm excited about where OFBiz is going.

Posted by David Shere <ds...@steelerubber.com>.
When I read the help forums at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ , I tend to
see the same thing.  People are complaining about the developers (How
could they *possibly* allow something like this to happen?!?!?) or ease
of use (I should have to go through *all this* to get it to work!
Ubuntu sucks!).  Usually someone chimes in and says something to the
effect of:  "Ubuntu is free software.  You're not in much of a position
to complain about something when you're getting it for free."

--
David Shere
Steele Rubber Products