Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Michael Smith <mj...@iii.co.uk> on 1998/04/23 17:32:41 UTC

LockFile misbehaving.

Ok here's one of those problem reports that makes it sound like I don't
know what I'm talking about ... but then again I don't know what I'm
talking about so it's fair enough really.

I've been running apache 1.3b6 happily since it was formally released -
until about an hour ago when I did a kill -USR1 and all of a sudden got
messages like this in the error log ...

open: No such file or directory
Cannot open lock file:

Truss showed up something like this:

open("", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0644)         Err#2 ENOENT

In httpd.conf I had something like this

LockFile /var/www/accept.lock

I only managed to get the server running in two ways :

i) Write the lock file over NFS (not considered a very good idea).
ii) Take the full stop out!  I.e. use

LockFile /var/www/accept.lock

In which case the server starts up including the line

open("/var/www/mpaclock.28624", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0644) = 3

It makes no sense to me as I've restarted it before without this
problem.

Anyway, it's been a tough day - time to go and sit in a dark room for a
few hours!

Mike