Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by cfaini <cf...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/29 20:21:22 UTC

Segmentation fault when using ActiveMQ-cpp w/ gcc-43.2

Hey there. I have been starting to work with ActiveMQ-cpp. Originally it
worked perfectly for me in my tests. However, I recently had to change my
environment and compiler from Solaris 10 w/ gcc-4.3.2 to Solaris 11 w/
gcc-4.5.2. I was able to get the ActiveMQ-cpp libraries to compile just
fine, but as soon as I run the example code from the ActiveMQ-cpp website it
generates a segmentation fault as soon as the threads try to join.

The code that I am trying to run is located here:
http://activemq.apache.org/cms/example.html. It ran just fine when I was
using an older version of GCC.

I get the following output from my code:
=======================================
Starting the example:
HelloWorldConsumer::run
HelloWorldProducer::run
Sent message #1 from thread -4196748
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

When looking into this error, it seems like Decaf (a part of the
ActiveMQ-CPP lirbary) is trying to destroy a null pointer Mutex.

Are there any known issues/fixes for Active MQ with my version of GCC? I am
using what is currently the latest version of ActiveMQ-cpp: 3.8.3

I am reposting this from the User forums because I'm thinking this is
probably the propper forums for this sort of issue.

Re: Segmentation fault when using ActiveMQ-cpp w/ gcc-43.2

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 09/29/2014 02:21 PM, cfaini wrote:
> Hey there. I have been starting to work with ActiveMQ-cpp. Originally it
> worked perfectly for me in my tests. However, I recently had to change my
> environment and compiler from Solaris 10 w/ gcc-4.3.2 to Solaris 11 w/
> gcc-4.5.2. I was able to get the ActiveMQ-cpp libraries to compile just
> fine, but as soon as I run the example code from the ActiveMQ-cpp website it
> generates a segmentation fault as soon as the threads try to join.
>
> The code that I am trying to run is located here:
> http://activemq.apache.org/cms/example.html. It ran just fine when I was
> using an older version of GCC.
>
> I get the following output from my code:
> =======================================
> Starting the example:
> HelloWorldConsumer::run
> HelloWorldProducer::run
> Sent message #1 from thread -4196748
> Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
>
> When looking into this error, it seems like Decaf (a part of the
> ActiveMQ-CPP lirbary) is trying to destroy a null pointer Mutex.
>
> Are there any known issues/fixes for Active MQ with my version of GCC? I am
> using what is currently the latest version of ActiveMQ-cpp: 3.8.3
>
> I am reposting this from the User forums because I'm thinking this is
> probably the propper forums for this sort of issue.

There is no known issue and the code is not tested on your environment.
You'd need to investigate the code on your end to see what changes when
built with the two versions as it did work in your previous instance.
Also its best to run the code for the examples from the examples folder
and not from the website as that code could be out of date.

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.