Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by RAMAKRISHNA SANKA <rs...@usa.net> on 2000/12/19 17:34:59 UTC

Tomcat hangs after user stops a request

Hi All,
I am running Tomcat 3.1 on an AIX 4.0 machine with JDK1.2.2
in stand-alone mode. When I connect to the application,
make a request that starts off a database operation, find it
running too long and stop the loading of the page in the browser,
I find that I cannot make any further successful requests to
the application.

I do a 'netstat -a | grep <port-number>' and I find an entry
with a status of 'CLOSE_WAIT' in addition to one in 'LISTEN'
status. This CLOSE_WAIT 'connection' stays that way for a long
time and all subsequent connections do not return information
to the browser and killing them only adds to the list of
CLOSE_WAITS.

Does anyone have any idea how to correct this situation?

Thanks,

Ramakrishna Sanka

RE: Tomcat hangs after user stops a request

Posted by Saurabh Shukla <sa...@cysphere.com>.
I do not know the solution, but i can show you a way out, run a srcipt which
sees the number of close wait (for tomcat) it is exceeds a number then
restart tomcat.

I was in a similar kind of situation and this what i had to do.

Regards,
Shuklix