Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> on 2018/07/17 04:54:08 UTC

[Discuss] IP clearance remaining issues

Hi All,

A lot of work for IP clearance has been done before[1], especially in
the core repository. In order to clean up all the things, I've got
several questions:

1. Does the IP clearance process apply to all the branches?

The current status:

2.7.x(master)
* group id has been changed to org.apache
* package name has been changed to org.apache.dubbo
* pom.xml has been updated with ASF info
* LICENSE/Disclaimer added

IMO, all things looks good.

2.6.x
* pom.xml has been updated with ASF info
* LICENSE/Disclaimer added

Remaining issues:
1. change group id to org.apache
2. change package name to org.apache.dubbo

For 2.6.x, since we will keep release on this branch, I think we
should do 1 in order to publish the artifacts to ASF maven repository.
But this may required user to change the pom.xml when they are
upgrading to newer version.
But for 2, since it will require significant change to the source
code, and will break the compatibility (it can't have a trivial way to
ensure the compatibly, on 2.7.x some of the implementation requires
feature that only available on Java 8, e.g. default method for
Interface),
I suggestion NOT to do so on the 2.6.x branch.

My question is, is this an issue from ASF's perspective?

2.5.x
* pom.xml has been updated with ASF info
* LICENSE/Disclaimer added

Remaining issues:
1. change group id to org.apache
2. change package name to org.apache.dubbo

For 2.5.x, I think we've already discussed the EOL[2] of this branch,
and there will be only security fix or critical fix if any.
So my proposal is:

* Discuss, decide, and announce the EOL of 2.5.x
* Do nothing about 1 unless there is a need to publish a release
* Do nothing about 2

My question is, is this an issue from ASF's perspective?

2. Does the IP clearance process apply to all the ASF repositories?

Currently there are following repositories under apache organization:

### incubator-dubbo

we have discussed it above

### incubator-dubbo-spring-boot-project

There are 2 branches:

#### 0.2.x   spring-boot 2.x support

* pom.xml has been updated with ASF info

Since this project is been actively developed and will expected
multiple release in the future. Here is what I suggest:

1. LICENSE/Disclaimer
2. change group id to org.apache
3. change package name to org.apache.dubbo

#### 0.1.x:  spring-boot 1.x support

* pom.xml has been updated with ASF info

Is this a maintenance branch? If there is a release, I think we need
to at least do:

1. LICENSE/Disclaimer
2. change group id to org.apache

and keep the package name.

* incubator-dubbo-ops

I see there was discussion on refactoring this project.

From my point of view, this project will be released in an periodical
manner, therefore IP clearance process is needed, which includes:

0. update pom.xml
1. LICENSE/Disclaimer
2. change group id to org.apache
3. change package name to org.apache.dubbo

* incubator-dubbo-website

I guess there is no need to go through the ip clearance for a website?

* incubator-dubbo-rpc-jsonrpc

I think this repository should go to dubbo ecosystem. It looks very
weird under apache group.

* incubator-dubbo-docs

Since the documentation has been merged to dubbo-webiste, I suggest to
deprecated this project.

* incubator-dubbo-feature-test

Is this repository still being used? If not, I think we can retire this repo.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DUBBO-3
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8e01cf656b49cfead81776114a677f7e39cba268fdd4c5b6b5cafcd5@%3Cdev.dubbo.apache.org%3E

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [Discuss] IP clearance remaining issues

Posted by Minxuan Zhuang <z8...@gmail.com>.
I'll follow the instruction about incubator-dubbo-ops during the refactoring

Posted by Jerrick Zhu <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 3:06 PM Jerrick Zhu <je...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 11:39 AM jun liu <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > * incubator-dubbo-docs
> > >
> > > Since the documentation has been merged to dubbo-webiste, I suggest to
> > > deprecated this project.
> > >
> > > * incubator-dubbo-feature-test
> > >
> > > Is this repository still being used? If not, I think we can retire this
> > repo.
> >
> > Agree, I think both these two projects can be retired.
> >
> > +1 for retiring the above 2 projects.
>
> BTW, if the community have decided to retired these two project, who can
> help us to deal with them ?

> Also, if there is a decision about moving `incubator-dubbo-rpc-jsonrpc` to
> dubbo echosystem, who can help to do this ?

If the community has made the decision, we can request the infra guys
to make the move by creating a ticket.
e,g, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16451

Posted by Jerrick Zhu <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by jun liu <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

We need to take a look at this and make a decision.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Ping.

Mentors, could you please take a look at the questions?

--
Best Regards!
Huxing