Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu> on 2002/06/21 18:42:15 UTC

daedalus pegged

Well, I guess our security advisory worked.  Daedalus is totally maxxed
out at 700 concurrent requests (which I assume is the maxclients setting).
MANY people downloading the new releases of Apache (expecially
1.3.26.tar.gz and the win32 binary of the same version).

Good to see our efforts taken seriously.

--Cliff

Re: daedalus pegged

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Greg Ames" <gr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Cliff Woolley wrote:
>>
>> Well, I guess our security advisory worked.  Daedalus is totally maxxed
>> out at 700 concurrent requests
>
> holy cripe!
>
>> (which I assume is the maxclients setting).
>
> yep.
>
>> MANY people downloading the new releases of Apache (expecially
>> 1.3.26.tar.gz and the win32 binary of the same version).
>>
>> Good to see our efforts taken seriously.
>
> It's back down to 560 now.  We've got a bunch of headroom available on
> MaxClients, but I don't want to bump it up a huge amount at times like this
> without watching it closely.
>
> Thanks for the heads up.

I'm rsyincing now the distribution over onto nagoya... Given it's an
*.apache.org machine, I believe that people might feel more "safe" to
download it from there... I'm adding a mirror to our set...

One other thing we might want to consider is putting a link to the download
site over onto the httpd site, pointing to /dist, with something like

  <A href="httpd://www.apache.org/dist/httpd">Update NOW!</A>

    Pier
--
[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion of different
sublanguages in  one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C with

Re: daedalus pegged

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org>.
Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Well, I guess our security advisory worked.  Daedalus is totally maxxed
> out at 700 concurrent requests

holy cripe!

> (which I assume is the maxclients setting).

yep.

> MANY people downloading the new releases of Apache (expecially
> 1.3.26.tar.gz and the win32 binary of the same version).
>
> Good to see our efforts taken seriously.

It's back down to 560 now.  We've got a bunch of headroom available on
MaxClients, but I don't want to bump it up a huge amount at times like this
without watching it closely.

Thanks for the heads up.
Greg

Re: daedalus pegged

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Well, I guess our security advisory worked.  Daedalus is totally maxxed
> out at 700 concurrent requests (which I assume is the maxclients setting).

And the coolest part of it all is that daedalus is barely even noticing
the load.  Totally bandwidth-limited.  (Errr, sorry collab guys. ;)

(jwoolley@daedalus)/x1/home/jwoolley$ top

last pid: 81376;  load averages:  1.19,  1.67,  1.92   up 59+15:32:41  10:02:21
845 processes: 4 running, 840 sleeping, 1 zombie
CPU states: 13.0% user,  0.0% nice, 12.1% system,  3.9% interrupt, 71.1% idle
Mem: 435M Active, 293M Inact, 236M Wired, 34M Cache, 112M Buf, 4104K Free
Swap: 1000M Total, 1032K Used, 999M Free

--Cliff