Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Warren Janssens <wh...@yahoo.ca> on 2001/11/21 03:21:27 UTC

"Craig R. McClanahan"

That's probably for the best that it is more
procedural than declaritive -- I know that I don't
really want to relearn prolog-style programming.

Anyways, I guess my interest in a workflow engine
would be for things like approval chains (you know --
first this person or group approves, then the next
person, etc...) since this thing tends to crop up in a
lot of business applications.  Had you envisioned the
non-web part of the framework being able to handle
something like this.  If so then I think I wouldn't
mind contributing since I know I'll have to write many
more applications that need that during my career.

Re: "Craig R. McClanahan"

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Warren Janssens wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 21:21:27 -0500 (EST)
> From: Warren Janssens <wh...@yahoo.ca>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>
>
> That's probably for the best that it is more
> procedural than declaritive -- I know that I don't
> really want to relearn prolog-style programming.
>
> Anyways, I guess my interest in a workflow engine
> would be for things like approval chains (you know --
> first this person or group approves, then the next
> person, etc...) since this thing tends to crop up in a
> lot of business applications.  Had you envisioned the
> non-web part of the framework being able to handle
> something like this.  If so then I think I wouldn't
> mind contributing since I know I'll have to write many
> more applications that need that during my career.

Although the use case you describe is very interesting, the current
Workflow implementation does not really address it yet (other than
reserving the interface name org.apache.commons.workflow.Process :-).  The
current stuff around "Activity" is mostly related to things that are
basicially synchronous, done in a short time frame, by a single individual
-- the "Process" notion is mostly a TODO.

That being said, I'd be very interested in collaborations to make the
Process notion come to life ..

Craig