Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Lee ChihCheng <le...@catlover.com> on 1999/04/29 14:50:01 UTC

Re: os-windows/3815: Keep Alive option let server response delay at first request.

The following reply was made to PR os-windows/3815; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Lee ChihCheng <le...@catlover.com>
To: stoddard@apache.org, apbugs@Apache.Org
Cc:  Subject: Re: os-windows/3815: Keep Alive option let server response delay at
 first request.
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:41:05 +0800

 Dear sir:

   Sorry, My earlier post is not really right.

   After few days watch, I found the reason is because my site is too busy.

   Now my Apache setting is like:
   -------------------------
   KeepAlive Off
   MaxKeepAliveRequests 0
   KeepAliveTimeout 20
   MaxRequestsPerChild 0
   ThreadsPerChild 256
   -------------------------

   And I use http://mysitename/server-staus to check it, screen show:

   130 requests currently being processed, 126 idle servers

   So, When I switch to "KeepAlive On", the "MaxKeepAliveRequests" is not enough.
   (I think maybe 300~800 users online, if keep-alive)

   I don't understand why Apache server never tell me "too busy", Apache just
   delay each web-page "first" 3~4 seconds.  (sometimes 10~15 seconds)

   So, I disable KeepAlive now.

   However I hope user can keep-alive, But I found Apache's Windows version just support
   max 256 users keep-alive.  it's too small for me.

   And I found the only way to expand this number is "modify the source, re-compiler it"
   but it's too hard for me...

   I hope the future version's apache can expand this limit.

   There is also a small problem.

   "Apache -k restart"  can restart apache.  but not immediately.
   If I send this command at PM23:30, the Apache will restart at AM1:00 ~ AM2:00
   It's really too late.

   Thanks for your reply , and sorry for my broken english.

 Lee-1