Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Brian Tarbox <ta...@cabotresearch.com> on 2013/01/16 04:28:17 UTC

How can OpsCenter show me Read Request Latency where there are no read requests??

I am making heavy use of DataStax OpsCenter to help tune my system and its
great.

And yet puzzling.  I see my clients do a burst of Reads causing the
OpsCenter Read Requests chart to go up and stay up until the clients finish
doing their reads.  The read request latency chart also goes up....but it
stays up even after all the reads are done.  At last glance I've had next
to zero reads for 10 minutes but still have a read request latency thats
basically unchanged from when there were actual reads.

How am I to interpret this?

Thanks.

Brian Tarbox

Re: How can OpsCenter show me Read Request Latency where there are no read requests??

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.
A few milliseconds (or a few thousand usecs) isn't terribly high,
considering that number includes at least one round trip between nodes.
I'm not sure about the tracking behavior that you're describing -- could
you provide some more details or perhaps screenshots?

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>

Re: How can OpsCenter show me Read Request Latency where there are no read requests??

Posted by Brian Tarbox <ta...@cabotresearch.com>.

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>

Re: How can OpsCenter show me Read Request Latency where there are no read requests??

Posted by Mikhail Panchenko <m...@mihasya.com>.
I haven't used OpsCenter specifically, so this is a guess: often latency
metrics are based on the last N samples and what is graphed are percentiles
(as opposed to a sliding time window). That means that the graph will
remain the same until more requests occur, as the data that the percentiles
are calculated from is not changing (i.e. there are no new samples of
latency being added). If that's not it, then I don't know :D