Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Peter Schober <pe...@univie.ac.at> on 2009/04/09 18:29:03 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Question n best practices to layout file system for a large number of fils

* Ali Naddaf <al...@naddaf.org> [2009-04-09 18:19]:
> I also understand that the file system used on the server (say Ext2
> vs Ext3 vs Reiser, ...) can play a role here.

I'd suggest finding out how many files you can comfortably handle in a
single directory for the given filesystem before performance starts to
degrade (e.g. per the filesystems' docs). Estimate how many files you
would possibly want to store, at a maximum, and then you can calculate
how many levels of directories you'll need.

Unless .htaccess files will also live there I doubt this has a lot to
do with httpd.

cheers,
-peter