Posted to users@maven.apache.org by daniel echalar <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/27 14:43:34 UTC

can't find maven dependencies

Hi,

I'm new in maven,
To add a dependency to my pom.xml, usually, I google the artifact, class,
jar and then go to http://mvnrepository.com and try luck by searching key
words, however sometimes it takes too much time, or I get stuck.
So the question is, is there any formal/structured procedure to find
dependencies in maven?

Right now I'm looking dependencies for :

import org.jboss.soa.bpel.console.ModelAdaptor;

import com.google.gson.*;

and it is kind frustrating xD

thanks!

Re: can't find maven dependencies

Posted by daniel echalar <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, good information

Posted by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 27/11/2012 8:43 AM, daniel echalar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new in maven,
> To add a dependency to my pom.xml, usually, I google the artifact, class,
> jar and then go to http://mvnrepository.com and try luck by searching key
> words, however sometimes it takes too much time, or I get stuck.
> So the question is, is there any formal/structured procedure to find
> dependencies in maven?
>
> Right now I'm looking dependencies for :
>
> import org.jboss.soa.bpel.console.ModelAdaptor;
>
> import com.google.gson.*;
>

> and it is kind frustrating xD
>
> thanks!

Not everyone publishes their code as Maven Artifacts in a public
repository like Maven Central.

Sometimes the issue is proprietary code that is covered by a commercial
license that you must buy.

Sometimes it is a license issue (Oracle, Java) where you need to agree
to the terms of a license before you use the software, even if it is
provided for free.

You may have to download the jars from the author and add them manually
to your own repo.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: can't find maven dependencies

Posted by Mikhail Kalkov <mi...@purplescout.se>.
> > To add a dependency to my pom.xml, usually, I google the artifact, class,
> > jar and then go to http://mvnrepository.com and try luck by searching key
> > words, however sometimes it takes too much time, or I get stuck.
> > So the question is, is there any formal/structured procedure to find
> > dependencies in maven?
> >

> Nope; that's pretty much what you do (trial, error, guesswork).  Free stuff
> is usually in "Maven central", which is slang for "the great central Maven
> repository in the sky".  You can search it more directly via
> search.maven.org.
>
> As another poster I think mentioned, not all software is available in Maven
> central.  This of course begs the question: OK, so, fine, where is it?
>
> There is no sort of discovery protocol or federation of Maven repositories
> (i.e. there's not really a way to bring a Maven repository up for, say,
> your company, and have it somehow join some hypothetical global set of
> Maven repositories).  So you Just Have To Know what other repositories you
> will need to check.

It sounds like a distributed hash table of maven resources, in which most repository servers would participate, could be a nice solution to the search problem. However, I have no idea how difficult it can be to develop one.

Kind regards,
Mikhail Kalkov

Re: can't find maven dependencies

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM, daniel echalar <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To add a dependency to my pom.xml, usually, I google the artifact, class,
> jar and then go to http://mvnrepository.com and try luck by searching key
> words, however sometimes it takes too much time, or I get stuck.
> So the question is, is there any formal/structured procedure to find
> dependencies in maven?

Nope; that's pretty much what you do (trial, error, guesswork).  Free stuff
is usually in "Maven central", which is slang for "the great central Maven
repository in the sky".  You can search it more directly via
search.maven.org.

As another poster I think mentioned, not all software is available in Maven
central.  This of course begs the question: OK, so, fine, where is it?

There is no sort of discovery protocol or federation of Maven repositories
(i.e. there's not really a way to bring a Maven repository up for, say,
your company, and have it somehow join some hypothetical global set of
Maven repositories).  So you Just Have To Know what other repositories you
will need to check.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Laird