Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chun Wei Ho <cw...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/08 05:08:25 UTC

Re: Scaling up to several machines with Lucene

Thanks for your comments and suggestions everyone :)

It looks like the general trend is to be in favour of (2) splitting
the frontend web application and the searching application.

Solr looks a lot like what we would liked, but unfortunately we
finished our application a while before Solr initially became
available, and I honestly say reading up on Solr's architecture and
how it segregates the searching layer from the frontend (so you can
add further dedicated search machines) was our idea for (2).

Splitting our index looks like a way to go and I am curious as to how
people are splitting their indexes? A split by category, or a split by
time (say divide 2 months worthed of index additions into 8 indexes of
a week each) and how would the system cope with the multiple indexes?